Hello Guest it is April 17, 2024, 09:32:25 PM

Author Topic: order of operations  (Read 3217 times)

order of operations
« on: March 05, 2011, 11:57:23 PM »
Im trying to figure out where to start. This is an example if i wanted to make a simple part like a square 3" x 3" x 1" and i wanted to have a square pocket 2" x 2" x 1/2"
cut in it. I can do this manually, but am trying to figure out where to draw this and assign measurements to each part.
i watched some of the tutorials for lazycam, but wasn't sure if this is where you you actually draw the part. i havent convertd to cnc yet and am trying to see what order to
do things in. i normally make simple things as a hobby but would like to do them cnc, i like to watch it "go".
I guess what im getting at is, draw "here", send it to "here", send to mach and it cuts. i know its probably more than that but thats what im asking.
Thanks
Re: order of operations
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:55:33 AM »
It would be better to draw your part on a CAD software and save it to a DXF format and import it in LazyCam.

I've never done that but it will work.(this is not a software I use)

They're some great free CAD software that are pretty good Just Google free cad software.

LazyCam is a CAM software to output the Gcode to be use by Mach3 which is a controlling software that send pulse to a card that will energize the motor and will run  the CNC machine..

So first, Use a CAD software to DRAW, next use a Cam Software(Lazycam) to output Gcode and finally, Use Mach3 to control your machine 

Jeff

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 06:36:16 AM »
G-Simple is a basic but quick to learn CAD/CAM solution which will get you up to speed in just a few hours. http://www.gsimple.gr/ The best part is it's free and it works.
My very first CNC part was made with this program, I have moved on a bit since then but I still use G-Simple on occasions.
There are, of course, many other free programs out there and the choice is yours.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 03:35:56 PM »
thanks, wasnt clear on that for whatever reason. now to keep reading
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 05:24:32 PM »
I don't want to do any marketing for any particular website but these CD's are a very good way to learn G code.

http://www.tipsformanufacturing.com/html/cnc_mill_programming.html

Jeff
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 10:32:57 PM »
i did free trial for alibre and bobcad. i think i like alibre the best but got new computer and it wont let me download trial again.
biggest problem i have on bobcad is i cant figure out how to make a part 3d. extrude does it on alibre but on problem is i dont know what im doing.