Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:00:21 AM

Author Topic: motor tuning  (Read 5232 times)

motor tuning
« on: February 23, 2011, 11:40:11 PM »
OK, I just finish seting up my CNC router :D only ting im having trouble is MOTOR TUNNING. >:( I have the TB6560 driver with 3 200oz 1.8 degree stepper motors and /8" 12" (turn per inch) acme ,single start carbon steel  +/- .009 in./ft.max lead screw. I'm trying to configure the motor tuning page in Mach3. I been searching and reading in the forum on how to tune the motor but could not find how to calculate the step per.etc... ??? not sure how to obtain or calculate it. Any help will be great.
Re: motor tuning
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 01:38:28 AM »
Download the Excel calculator for step calculation.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,16315.0.html

Jeff

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 06:36:33 AM »
how to tune the motor

- Pick a start velocity , leys say 10 ipm and an accel of 1 , jog the machine, will assume it didn't skip
- Now double the velocity and accel....20 vel / accel 2,             "                           "
- keep doubling the velocity an accel until it skips ie,  40/4, 80/8, 160/16 willl assume it skips
- now lower to say 120 / 12, assume it ships
- now use 100 / 10 and assume it doesn't skip
- so  now increase by 10 to 110 / 11........lets say it skips
- so lower by 30% or more , say 75 / 8 , i like to be conservative and leave enough "headroom" for machining tasks so that the axis will
  not skip for the maching tasks that i will do.
- At this point you play some with the accel by jogging in smaller moves

Doing the above, you have found the max velocity and acceleration when doing a rapid where the machine will not skip. By reducing the values
you are trying to make sure that your machine will be reliable when  machining. You should test  the final setting some by jogging in small and long moves and by actualy cutting different materials.

How fast you can accelerate and decelerate depends on how your axis system will react to the load it is trying to move or stop. A velocity of 0 to max  & from max velocity to  a stop in a some distance.

Hope this helps,
RICH
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:38:57 AM by RICH »
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 06:23:21 PM »
OK here is a set up of my machine please tell me Wat I'm doing wrong i will put the g code that i want to cut to see if is a problem of the g code remember I'm new to the world of cnc so please explain if you can wit picture  ;D ore if you were talking to a baby  :-[