Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:45:41 PM

Author Topic: Grease pump  (Read 12489 times)

Re: Grease pump
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 03:45:03 PM »
Here is the manual of the servos. I'm also using DSPMC/IP controller. Thanks.

Peter
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 05:26:34 PM »
Hi, yes that could also be possibility but in my case not because I don't have any output shaft to mount the encoder or black wheel. I use servos and rack and pinion drive and there is just 2mm of space between pinion and table. Thanks again for the idea.

Peter

No problem...Just use an encoder and mount a pinion gear to it and let it follow the rack.  You could mount a shaft with the black wheel the same way.  I've seen some real high end plasma tables with their servo encoders mounted this way.
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 05:39:02 PM »
Hi, I'm afraid that would not be possible because the limits of the travel are at the very end of the rack, so there is no room for one more pinion.

Peter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 08:44:22 PM »
How about mounting a small inductive proximity switch, or Hall effect, at the pinion teeth, or rack, whichever is most convenient.
Just count the ticks with Mach Brains or macropump and fire at will.
Maybe ?
Pretty simple ?
Too simple ? ? lol
Russ
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 09:57:30 PM »
How about mounting a small inductive proximity switch, or Hall effect, at the pinion teeth, or rack, whichever is most convenient.
Just count the ticks with Mach Brains or macropump and fire at will.
Maybe ?
Pretty simple ?
Too simple ? ? lol
Russ

Or a pinion that meshes with the servo pinion.  I think he's just dead set on doing it the hard way. :)

Offline djc

•  47 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 03:17:46 PM »
Here is the manual of the servos.

OK. The servo controller outputs a pulse every time the motor makes one complete revolution (Z-phase).

Hence, work out how many complete revolutions equal your desired travel-before-lube and use a pulse counter as suggested above to trigger a timer to switch on your pump.

With $10 worth of electronic bits, it is done. No encoders, no PLCs, no brains, no macros.

There are two gotchas with this approach: if the time the pump needs to be on after teh first 50m travel is longer than it takes to do the second 50m travel, you mmight as well not bother and just have the pump on continuously.

Second, if you do moves that involve the motor repeatedly doing 99% of a revolution clockwise and then 99% of a revolution anti-clockwise, the Z-phase will not trigger. This scenario is very unlikely.
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 03:44:08 PM »
Thanks for answers. I will go through all the options and see which one will suit my needs. Thanks.

Peter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 03:18:35 PM »
Ok I decided to mount inductive proximity switch on the gantry pointed at the rack teeth. Can someone point me at the rigt direction on how to write a brain to count the clicks and then activate output. Thanks.

Peter
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 04:39:34 PM »
Depends on the inductive sensor.  The ones I've used didn't act as a on/off switch so there had to be some other electronics with some logic to look at the sensor output and a transistor to switch 5V to a PP pin.  Look for a sensor that acts as a switch, mount it and check it's output with a meter to make sure the gear tooth has enough mass to trigger it.  If it does, use it to switch 5V to a PP pin, then in a brain, monitor that pin.

If you want to also compare the value against you set value and run the oiling procedure, then a macropump would probably work better.  Just read the pulses, convert them to linear distance and store it in a DRO then compare the DRO to the set point.
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 07:19:58 AM »
Hi, my sensor is on/off switch 24V. It will be connected to DSPMC/IP controller.

Peter