Hello Guest it is April 27, 2024, 03:50:58 PM

Author Topic: Set Rapids etc.  (Read 3756 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Set Rapids etc.
« on: February 23, 2011, 08:40:58 PM »
I know the meaning of the following terms but I have difficulty understanding their use and hopefully someone may be able to help.

So I know that Rapid Height is the Z height above the surface of the item to be cut and
Plunge Clearance is the distance above the cut starting point where Mach can safely rapid down to without hitting the work piece.

Alright, so why I need both of these parameters? are they redundant? I mean if I set the Rapid Height to 1ā€ Iā€™m saying to Mach that 1ā€ above the surface of the piece to be cut is clear with no obstructions. So why I also need to set the Plunge Clearance?

Next is the Cut Start which means the distance above the piece surface I want the cutting to begin. Why I want to set a distance for the cutting to begin ABOVE the surface of my piece? To me it will cut nothing.

Also in the Tools Menu, the setting for the Cut per Pass should it be the same as the Cut Start?
Nicolas

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Set Rapids etc.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:58:03 PM »
Nicolas,
You plunge down from the rapid height with a  G00 ( max velocity / rapid move )  and then feed into the material with a  GO1. Where you want to transition or start feeding at a designated feed rate is set in LC as shown in figure 1. You do not want put the cutter into the material at max velocity that the axis can do. On the hand, say the rapid plane was 5" up from the surface..... don't think you  want to feed down for 5" at say G01 Z-5" F.1 ?
It would take a lot of time. Generate some simple code and watch the movement in Machs graphics window.....see figure T6-FIGURE 6.

For the tool you will be using you define how deep you want to cut, lets say you want to cut into the material a total of 1" deep....that's a rather deep / unpractical cut,  so you can set the CUT PER PASS to say .1" and make 10 cuts to accomplish the total depth.

Go back and read the manual and pay attention to Section 8.3.2,3,& 4

RICH

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
Thank you RICH, that explains a lot

I'm still reading
Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 07:59:38 AM »
I would have liked to follow the tutorial #1 which goes thru the process of machining that bracket

Is this bracket drawing available?
Nicolas

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 05:08:11 PM »

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 05:24:32 PM »