Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:53:53 PM

Author Topic: Cloned hard drive on new pc?  (Read 3327 times)

Cloned hard drive on new pc?
« on: February 18, 2011, 03:33:05 AM »
Hi
I had Mach 3 (licensed) up and running on an old PC on XP. I needed to upgrade, so made sure my new motherboard had a parallel port  ;)

With all my other software it was easier to migrate to the new system with a clone of my hard drive (Acronis sorts it out) and update drivers. Since then Mach 3 still runs but not 100%. The homing switches don't zero (but work!) and the motors sound different (parallel port different frequencies?). Other than that it works. I am thinking I may have to do a fresh install of Mach 3 especially for the parallel port driver? I updated Mach 3 to the latest version but that obviously didn't doing anything with the driver (reboot etc.)

So a fresh install?

Cheers

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Cloned hard drive on new pc?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 03:44:17 AM »
The update to latest would have updated the driver if it was newer but the reboot is only required the very first time a driver is installed so thats why it didnt reboot with you.

If you can still access the old hard drive look for the xml for the profile you were using and copy it over to the new computer, that should restore things to the way they were before.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 04:23:23 AM »
Thanks Hood. I am just wondering if when the driver was initially installed on another machine whether it's slightly out with different processor speeds etc. My table is running fine, it just feels different lol. I have retuned the motors now. The homing switches work but the DRO's dont zero, baffled.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 04:50:25 AM »
Config menu then Homing and Limits, make sure AutoZero is chosen. If it is then you will only see the DROs going o zero if you are looking at machine coords, well that is if you have a G54 offset.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 07:47:15 AM »
Thanks again Hood. Feel happy with it now. I could have sworn the DRO's went to 0.0000 on my other PC  ;D....  :-[ I am a newb lol

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 07:51:36 AM »
They could have been, if you look at machine coords just after you have homed they should be zero, if you then again press the machine coords button so that you are now seeing the work offset value and if they are not zero you can set them to zero if you wish by pressing the zero button at the side of the DROs.
Hood