Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 10:57:04 PM

Author Topic: Cad Software!!!  (Read 4869 times)

Cad Software!!!
« on: February 09, 2011, 09:30:14 PM »
Guys, I have another question that I could use some input on.  I currently use Alibre CAD/CAM.  I have the expert version of each.  After realizing that Alibre was crippling my cam software(Visual Mill 6.0) by limiting its import options to what Alibre could open I starting looking for alternatives.  Don't get me wrong it works great for most industrial metal working apllications, but not so good for doing art type work on my new router.  I thought I could do at least basic v carving from imported dxf files but the problem elevates when trying to paste the dxf into a part file which you must do to get it in the cam package.  Most of the time if it there is many lines it locks up the computer.  I thought maybe it was my desktop at home so I tried on my workstation at work and pretty much had the same results.  After much debate I went ahead and purchased a bundle which inlcuded v-carve, photo carve, and cut 3-d.(Vectric Software)  I would have liked to  purchase Aspire but it wasn't really in my budget.  So far the software seems really great and I have picked it up fairly quick.  My question is there any programs out there that I can use for creating some 3d relief files that won't break the bank?  Maybe a freeware version that I can use as an interim.  I know that you can purchased 3d models through Vector art and import to give some more creativity but I would rather do all of my own drawing.  After having several thousand dollars tied up in software already I was hoping to get some good input from people already doing this type of work.  The hole art type work is new to me and 3d machining is something I do on a regular basis in metal just not wood.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,199 9,199
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Cad Software!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 08:06:28 AM »
Hi Jugster,

Take a look at Danny's site here:-  http://www.cnc4free.org/ you may find something of interest to you.

'GMax' is good for modeling and free but the learning curve is just too steep for me - I suppose it depends just how much time you have available for learning something new. (Almost all of the popular 3D computer games have an associated software which is designed for creating 3D models and in most instances that software can be obtained for free). I like free  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Fredzway

•  8 8
  • I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 12:20:29 PM »
Super Kitty! He's everywhere! He's everywhere!! ( Thank goodness! )
There is Tweakie sorta answering my question too. I am learning and relearning stuff. I am realizing I need a CAD program to put my photo in, turn it into a drawing, then to LazyCAM, then Mach, then reality (or a version thereof). Oh yeah I like free too. So where do I find a free CAD program that will do this?
Thanks,
Fred
I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, most of them never happened. - Mark Twain

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,199 9,199
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 12:52:24 PM »
Hi Fred,

There are loads of free CAD /CAM programs you can use to get you started, unfortunately they never seem to be quite so good as the ones you have to pay for.  :'(

What do you want to do ?

What sort of photo ?

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Fredzway

•  8 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 01:22:56 PM »
I would like to put a jpg of a pencil drawing into a CAD program that would turn into a CAD drawing ( 3D ) , that I could put in LazyCAM, then Mach3 and carve components for a Christmas tree ornament (I owe you one, this may be #2). I'll send pix to your email. I looked around the forum and we should keep it here for the benefit of all.
Thanks,
Fred
I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, most of them never happened. - Mark Twain

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,199 9,199
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 01:43:54 PM »
Hi Fred,

Not all CAD / CAM programs will import a .jpg raster drawing (which is what you have) and turn it into a vector drawing (which is what you need to put into LazyCam) but here are some, off the top of my head, which are free, you will have to Google to find the download sites.

G-Simple (I made my first CNC part using this)
CamBam (free version has some unresolved quirks but I have used this a lot in the past)
HeeksCad (still under development but improving all the time)
DraftSight (this has only recently been released and I have not tried it yet)

There is a free version of Google Sketchup which now has many plugins making it more than suitable for home CNC use. It will import many file formats allow re-design and even export GCode (the GCode is tailored for the PhlatPrinter so needs a little editing but is not too difficult to do).

I will take a look at you .jpg and see what needs to be done.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Fredzway

•  8 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 09:40:24 AM »
Hey, from the mountains of North Carolina,
I will start down your list.
I looked at Google Sketchup. Some easy, some fun, I got it to import my photo, stepped around up to the "click open button" step.........What open button???? where??? I worked at it for too long, got a headache then numbed my brain to sleep with David Attenburough narrating a nature special (best sleep aid in the world!!).
Dave (my programmer in Arizona) said his raster to CAD gave him a fuzzy picture that he had to draw over then erase the fuzzy. Is that the state of our technology? I should not complain....Like I should not TELL you that your program plunged in the wrong spot. I should have asked or better yet keep my mouth shut while I am being lead through the darkness to the light.
Thanks,
Fred
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 03:02:05 PM »
This is an old thread, but I think this is worth mentioning.  If the tool must be free, it seems Inkscape would be a good candidate to convert a pencil drawing to DXF and gcode.  I tested the process of using an existing JPG converted to DXF.  Without much fiddling I was able to import a clean DXF to free Prodgecad and Sketchup. 

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/opensource_software/99063-new_export_gcode_plug-_inkscape.html
http://inkscapedxf.blogspot.com/

Scott