Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:32:34 AM

Author Topic: loading screens etc  (Read 6641 times)

loading screens etc
« on: February 06, 2011, 08:24:29 PM »
Hello everyone. Today is my first time posting in the Mach forum.
I have a DynaCNC 4X4 plasma/router. I have been doing all plasma to this point but will be starting some routing on my machine soon.
Since the machine was purchaced ready to run I do not much knowledge of Mach3 behiind the sceens. Meaning, ports and pins, motor tuning homing and limits loading screens etc. I have watched several or the training videos and have picked up a good bit of knowledge.
Now... I am wanting to swap out the PCs and need some info on what to move. I attempted it once but did not have any luck so I put the old PC back on.
I need to know where I can find info on how to do the following.
1. What files need to be copied from the old pc and where exactly to each chf them go.. xml, bitmaps.sets, brains (?) and anything else like that for the machine to work like it did before.
2. I have to screens.. One for plasma and one for routing. When making any adjustsments for homing and limits, motor tuning etc.. the settings do not follow from one screen to another. Is this normal?? If not how do I change it.
3. How do I load new screens?? where do all of the files go.
4. Is there any documentation on any of these topics.

The Mach manual doesnt describe any of this and I have spent a few hours doing some searches in the forum but I just havent had any luck finding what Ineed

I sure would appreciate any assistance.
Kelly

Re: loading screens etc
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:14:29 PM »
Pin assignments and other mach settings are stored in the XML file, not the screen set.  To carry those over to another screenset, you have to copy the XML.  IE:  Copy "Plasma.xml" and rename it "Router.xml".  Close Mach3 and restart using Mach3 Loader.  Choose the new Router profile.  After Mach opens, load the Router screenset and change anything that needs changing.  The XML you are using is a copy of the Plasma XML, so some things may not be the same on the router profile.   From here on out, when you start Mach3, just choose either the plasma or router profile. 
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:00:47 PM »
Thank you rrc.. I have both screens now and they are diffinately different from each other. The plasma has all of the Torch height control features and others and the router has some other specific features as well. My main concern is when moving all of this over to a new PC and a new updated version of Mach 3, what all do I copy and where do they all go. the one time I tried it I copied the .xml and .set files as instructed but it was obvious that it wasnt correct. I took it upon myself to copy the bitmaps and then the screens looked correct. Since I made my original post I went to the shop and looked around it Mach some more and noticed a Macros folder that had a subfolder for each screen in it.. I just dont know what all to copy and what to do with it after I do. There seems to be related files everywhere... hehe.
As far as each screen set having different config data............. I had assumed that they shared all of the configurations by accessing it from a specific place. I naturally do not have a clue as to how they work. It was looking like they did not share the configs when I was looking through the motor tuning and homing and limits settings. I had made some changes in one of the screens and when I switched to the other screen the changes were not there. This may be the way it is suppost to be. I am clueless I guess.
I certain appreicate any information. I am certainly learning alot.
Kelly
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 09:40:41 AM »
Config data is not stored in the screenset.  Config data is stored in the XML and that file will likely not be the same for both plasma and router.  If the people who made your machine did not provide a router profile (XML) then you'll have to create it by copying the plasma profile (XML) and modifying to work with the router.  The screenset is just one component of the profile (XML).  You can have many different profiles, each with it's own screenset.

Instead of looking at as each screenset having different config data, look at as each profile (XML) having a different screenset. 

"I had made some changes in one of the screens and when I switched to the other screen the changes were not there."

The changes you're making are not stored in the screenset, they are stored in the profile (XML).  Only things like the physical appearance, buttons, LED's, DRO's and button scripts are stored in the screenset.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 11:51:32 AM »
If you're starting Mach3 from different shortcuts, then each may be using it's own .xml, which would explain the settings being different.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 12:51:04 PM »
Thank u gentlemen. That is some pretty good information.
I was aware that the xml file house the configurations.
Since i have two profiles.. When open Mach it prompt me to choose the profile that i want to use. I guess i was hoping that the configs shared settings but that aparently isnt the case. Thats kool though. At least i know that now. Hehe
Now still my main issue is still the same. I need to get this other computer working. I have already loaded a new version of Mach. I have copied and installed the XML, .SET and bitmaps into the new Mach. I have seen that there are other files like the Macros folders that i saw for each profile. I just dont know what all i need to copy and where to put those files

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 01:01:21 PM »
bitmaps, xml's. macro's, brains, and .set files. And license.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 02:38:54 PM »
Outstanding Gerry. That is most of what Im looking for.. After digging around in the Mach files and seeing the other files in there.. just moving over the .xml and .set files didnt seem correct.  Im learining more and more about how it all works behind the screens.

Thank you very much.
Kelly
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 10:32:28 PM »
One more question gentlemen.. Where can I find the BRAINS?? I searched around in the Mach folder but I guess I dont know what Im looking for.
Thank you again

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 02:16:59 AM »
They will be in a folder named Brains but you will likely not have any as Mach as standard does not have any, having said that the folder should still be there with the Mach3Lobe.exe.
Hood