Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:55:06 AM

Author Topic: A lathe screew with buit in wizards  (Read 11326 times)

A lathe screew with buit in wizards
« on: February 06, 2011, 06:59:18 PM »
I have been working on a lathe screen set for a while. It is based on the idea of wizards on the main screen set.

Someone posted a link to a Haas LT-1 lathe, and my set does all the same stuff.

The top set of panels is the same on every screen. Down the left edge are buttons to change screens, there is a manual screen and run screen and several wizard like function screens, turn, face, taper, thread cut, bore etc.

On each function screen you fill in the blanks to define your part. There are two buttons, one called 'Do it' will immediaetly do the function you just defines. The 'Post' button will add this function to a complete Gcode file.

It works great for common turning jobs, The thread has a built-in table that lets you select a thread from a list, I have all the normal US threads, 1/4-20, 10-32, 8-32 etc defines, but its just a simple file the user can edit to add his favorite threads.

I hd most of this working at the CNC workshop last June. Ive been kind of ignoring it for a while, but if there seems to be interest I will finish it up and release it as a Newfangled wizard.

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
Re: A lathe screew with buit in wizards
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 08:05:20 PM »
That would probably be me that was talking about the Haas interface. I am working on one as well but it is far from done. What I am trying to do is make the wizards work like the newfangled milling ones do. Would be nice to make a full program in wizards not just parts of one. This is how the Haas TL interface works. Take a look at this thread...

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,17093.0/topicseen.html

Maybe you could post some of your ideas on what you are looking for. Since you also are a screen designer maybe you can help out with this project as well.

Wes
Re: A lathe screen with buit in wizards
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 08:18:23 PM »
Yes, my screens work like newfangled in that you can build up a complete part by combining several functions.

I have completely made the code to make bolts, by facing, turning to a  diameter for a couple different sections, then threading, chanfering the end and cutting it off.  All the tool change and offset stuff is handled.

I like the ability to do the functions one at a  time to be sure they are right, then adding them to the program. Of course if you just wanted to use it as a kind of automatic power feed you can do it one step at a time.

The set is mostly done, but Im a bit unhappy with the graphics, they are just plain buttons with no pizzaz But Im NOT an artist so plain is all I can do.

If this set was finished up and sold like the Addon for mill  would it sell?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 08:22:28 PM by Ron Ginger »

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 08:39:49 PM »
I cant say as far as selling it how it would do. I know that with selling comes the need to give support. No matter how good it is you will get tons and tons of questions.

I have created quite a few wizards as well as modifying existing ones to give much more flexibility and fine tuning. I would be more than willing to help with the interface and add my wizards. The interface I am working on is more less a windows style theme so it is very clean, easy to use and professional looking. let me know if your interested.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 06:08:16 PM »
I posted a demo of my wizards set on youtube today,
http://www.youtube.com/embed/wfBluCFDuAg

Id like to hear feedback, sugestions, whatever.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:10:11 PM by Ron Ginger »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 06:50:03 PM »
Looks good Ron. Will this be like the mill addons in that it is accesed from a button or will it be a screen in its own right?
If its from a button I would definitely buy it.
If its a screenset in its own right will it be possible to modify it? Reason I ask is my screenset for the lathe is set up for my machine, quite a lot of VB buttons to control turrets, servo drives etc.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 07:59:36 PM »
Hi Ron,

I would also pay for this. I'm not to fussed about fancy graphics, often less is more. I need to add a Y axis DRO as I am running a converted mill and have my tools along the y axis. will I be able to alter this set with screen 4?

Regards

Dale gribble
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 09:25:13 PM »
At this time I think the combined screen/wizard is a 'feature' and I dont want to give it up, but it would be possible to do a version like that.

The plan now is to use the vb compiled code ability, so without the source you could not edit the screens- as it is with the Newfangled wizards. For a package that is sold it seems to need some kind of code protection.

However, you should be able to lift an entire screen, and its compiled button code to use in your screen. You could not see or edit my buttons, but could drop them onto your screen. Might be tricky, but shold work.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 09:33:42 PM by Ron Ginger »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 09:57:09 PM »
Hi Ron,
First i must say that anything someone does to enhance Mach Turn is great.

- I like the simplicity of it's use and it serves a niche between using the standard wizards and say a CAM porgram.
- It would be nice if it included some of the other wizards ( there are probably 25 of them or so ).
- You may want to talk to Scott as he is actively doing a new turn screen.....that said,your screen incorporated into it instead of the regular wizards as they
  stand would be nice .....IE; similar screen appearance. If not possible, then i would assume it would be available via the wizard selection.
- Would it sell? I think so because it provides an easy way to more fully utilize the cnc lathe. ie; no drawing work or pasting together of code for a non-profiled
  shape.

RICH
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 04:04:39 PM »
Hi Ron,

Can you update us on your progress

Regards

Dale