Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:17:34 AM

Author Topic: What did I do and how to fix it?  (Read 5218 times)

What did I do and how to fix it?
« on: February 05, 2011, 10:27:14 PM »
Hi,

I messed up my zero touch setup and now I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get it working again?

This morning when I booted up the computer, it gave the error to press F1 to continue and F2 to restore defaults in the cmos, so without thinking, I pressed F2 and then the g540 wouldnt start.. so when mach3 error came up for the settings, I clicked the repair/reset option.

THEN realized that my cmos likely changed my port type back.. So I rebooted to the bios and fixed that. Everything worked ok but my touch plate. so I ran the zero touch plate script again and same.. so restored the mach3 back a few times, same.. no luck. I checked the settings in the ports/pins and it was still on port1 pin11 where it was working before my brain malfunction. I took the check out of the active low and the touch plate light came on. changed back and it still wont work.

I rebooted numerous times, reinstalled the mach blue screen and deleted my zero touch macro and created a new one. Ran again and still the same.

What settings in Mach would have changed when that error popped up and I reset the settings?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: What did I do and how to fix it?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 07:05:07 AM »
Dont think there would be a setting that changed in Mach due to the somputer setting to CMOS defaults. Sounds like your port may be a problem or maybe your BOB.
What I would do is disconnect the cable from the port and open Mach and look on the diagnostics screen at the input you have the probe assigned to then jumper a short wire between the ports pin and the casing of the port and see if the LED changes state, if it does the port is OK, if it doesnt then double check you are shorting the correct pin (pic in manual shows orientation of port on computer) If still nothing then as long as you are definitely testing the correct pin then it would seem your port is bad.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 08:09:25 AM »
Thanks,

Will give it a try. But it was working fine before I hit the reset screen that pops up if it cant reach the controller. It said something about changing inputs.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 08:40:18 AM »
i've seen the parallel port setting change on a bios reset, try setting it to epp. I've had a pin fail to operate with the parallel port set to ecp.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 08:46:25 AM »
I will try just epp again, it defaults to ecp and I changed it to epp but that was before I went through and reinstalled all the zero touch script and settings again. I currently have it set to another that contains ecp and epp I believe(it was a multiple option) but will try them all.

By restoring mach3 back 10-20 starts, that should have reversed any setting changed when I pressed that button?

Thanks!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 09:01:39 AM »
Yes going back to previous xml's would restore anything that had been changed but simply choosing to set defaults in the CMOS wont change Mach settings. As was said Port type would be changed but as you already changed that it should be as before.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 10:15:19 AM »
Yes going back to previous xml's would restore anything that had been changed but simply choosing to set defaults in the CMOS wont change Mach settings. As was said Port type would be changed but as you already changed that it should be as before.
Hood

Thanks.

I guess I will rule out mach3 settings changed - my main concern was that I pressed that popup window button to attempt to fix the problems. (As I used that once before I got the zero touch working when I was building the machine)

I will go over the other options in the cmos and see what I can do.

When I go into the inputs and disable the active low, the light comes on if that means anything?

Thanks!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 10:31:07 AM »
Changing the active state will do that as all you are telling Mach is whether to look for a High or Low signal as the active state. Shorting the pin to gnd direct on your port will let you see if that pin is actually working on the port, if it is then you can work further out and find where the problem lies.

The fact that your computer booted with the option to load defaults suggests something was wrong with hardware in the first place.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »

The box has a bad cmos battery, kept putting off replacing it. I turn off all power to the shop when I am not in it so the battery must have drained completely as I hadnt started it in a few days.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 10:47:47 AM »
That would explain the defaults option then :)
If you want to attach your xml I will have a look and test it here.
Hood