Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:31:33 PM

Author Topic: Convert this .dat file to DXF ? ? ? ?  (Read 18858 times)

Convert this .dat file to DXF ? ? ? ?
« on: February 02, 2011, 07:35:39 PM »
Hey All,
  I have a database of airfoil coordinate files, one is attached.
They are all .dat files but the open with Notepad. (I changed the extension to .txt to attach it.)
How can I convert this to a DXF ? Or, can I ?

I added an X and Y to every line in the attached file by hand, tried G41/42 with mixed results.
I can get the database in CAD DXF but it's a 10 hour download here.

Thanks for looking,
Russ
 :)

Re: Convert this .dat file to DXF ? ? ? ?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 11:09:51 PM »
I don't know where you are headed with this, but if you're intending to CNC this airfoil, NCPlot produces a proper airfoil pattern.  See attached NC file.

Regards,
Roger
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:38:50 PM »
Hi Roger,
   I see that NCPlot just puts x an y in where I did manually.
I'd like to convert these to DXF so I can modify the interior for cutout areas for gussets and the spars.
I can then scale them with CAD, then create the offsets with SheetCam (or lazyCam) then cut them out of plywood.
Thanks.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 12:08:29 AM »
Not sure if this is what you are looking for.  Your txt file appeared to be seriously corrupted when I tried to work with it.  Cleaned it up as best I could and produced the following FOIL.txt file.

Curious  - Let me know if it worked or not.

Bob@BobsShop
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 12:14:43 AM »
Hi Bob,
   What you sent is exactly what I already have. It's the same .txt file but with added X and Y beside the coordinates. What I am wanting is a DXF from this coordinate file.
I dont understand the corruption, its a very simple coord file.
Thanks for looking,
Russ

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 04:33:08 AM »
Hi Russ - how you doing?

Not sure if you wanted DXF of the points or of the interpolated line through the points so I've attached both. I did this with a script through Rhino. If it's what you want (and there aren't too many  ;D) let me know and I'll do them for you.

Cheers

Ian

EDIT: just noticed the strange wiggle on the trailing edge of the line version. Not sure what happened there. Attached is a better attempt.

EDIT: and how about one without the flat on the top surface  ;D attached is the better-still dxf
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:37:21 AM by stirling »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 06:55:31 AM »
RUSS,
Here is a a dxf based on Bob's reply #3 text file.
RICH
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 08:04:54 AM »

Russ, downloaded your DXF file.  Looks like I may have had made a mistake or two when I created my file, but was able to open your dxf  and read it in my Cad X program.  More importantly though; How were you able to create the DXF.  Could be a big help to me in the the future.

Thanks

Bob@BobsShop
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 08:07:22 AM »
Oops.  Should have addressed to Rich.

Russ, downloaded your DXF file.  Looks like I may have had made a mistake or two when I created my file, but was able to open your dxf  and read it in my Cad X program.  More importantly though; How were you able to create the DXF.  Could be a big help to me in the the future.

Bob@BobsShop
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 08:08:26 AM »
Howdy Ian, doin' OK here, thanks.
That last one is really good, might find a couple more for you to convert until I can do it here.
Thanks again !

Rich, How did you do it ?
Only thing different is the portion shown should be below the chord line, in the -y.

Thanks again guys,
Russ  
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:37:23 AM by Overloaded »