Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:34:45 AM

Author Topic: Motion wont stop after keyboard jog  (Read 7410 times)

Motion wont stop after keyboard jog
« on: January 31, 2011, 11:16:42 AM »
I have had a strang issue creap up today that I hope is just a case of me accidently changing a setting.

I havent made any changes to my system in well over a year. This morning I was turning and threading parts on the lathe. once the part is done I place a new part in the chuck and use the arrow keys on the keyboard to slowly jog over and touch the end of the part then press the Z zero button on screen and then cycle start to begin machining the part.

I ran about 15 parts this morning and then out of the blue the machine started continuing to move after the arrow key on the keyboard is released. At this point none of the keyboard inputs are recognized and all my external inputs , cycle start estop and pause , do not work.  Once I click the Stop button on screen the machine stops moving and the external inputs work again . All the other keyboard comands work fine and dont cause this issue, just the slow jog. The rapid jog (hold shift and press arrow key) works fine and doesnt cause this issue.

Since things have worked fine until this point  I would imagine I have changed something somehow this morning while pressing the jog (arrow) keys on the keyboard.

Any thoughts or help greatly appreciated.
Re: Motion wont stop after keyboard jog
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 11:21:29 AM »
Forgot to mention, when I press the arrow key to jog in the desired direction the machine moves at the speed shown in the feed rate box instead of the usual feed rate shown in the slow jog box.

I have also rebooted numerous times and tryed a diff keyboard, checked all connectors .
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:25:57 AM by panaceabeachbum »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 11:48:39 AM »
When you say the E-Stop wont work, that worries me, the E-Stop should kill everything no matter what condition the software is in, you might want to look at that sooner rather than later ;)

Ok as for your jog problem, have you tried another screenset?
Can you attach your xml please.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 12:02:48 PM »
Its disturbing to me also. When I press the jog button (arrow key) the machine travels in the correct direction but just doesnt stop when the button is released and no other buttons on the keyboard have any effect until I use the mouse to click the stop button on screen. It also disables all the external inputs , estop etc.  Once I click stop on screen the external inputs seem to work fine as do the other keyboard functions, s= spindle etc.

Considering the wieght of my crosslide and tool changer  and the speeds this machine will travel its down right scary not having an estop.

What has me confused is this machine has run fine for ages, and not s single thing has changed, been using the blue lathe screen set since the begining. I do notice that all the z offsets for every tool in the library have changed to odd random numbers also . I will load my XML in a few minutes . Thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 12:15:17 PM »
Here is the XML for both the turn and smooth stepper  , seems like its been well over a year since I have made any changes other than running the spindle calibration and updating the tool table

http://www.thompsonmachine.net/misc/m3turn.xml

http://www.thompsonmachine.net/misc/ss.xml
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 12:45:45 PM »
Not sure whats causing it but now when I set the offset for a paticular tool its shifting all the other tools in the library by exactly 5" . This and the jogging issue are the most random glitches I have encountered
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 12:53:32 PM »
I mentioned earlier that the machine continues to travel after the jog button is released. I decided to back it off the chuck 20+ inches and see how far it will travel. it seems it travels for exactly 4 inches each time the button is pressed. Is there a jog distance/increment preset somewhere that I might have unknowingly changed?

The tool length offset isnt to big a deal as I can go back and manualy edit the other 11 tools in the library after setting a new TLO
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 01:01:53 PM by panaceabeachbum »
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 01:07:16 PM »
Hi RT,
   This might be obvious, but hit the TAB key and check that you are not in INC Jog mode. The distance can be set to whatever you want. Could be 4" but not likely as you would most likely know about that.
Russ

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 01:39:53 PM »
That is exactly what I was meaning when I said you should get the E-Stop sorted. On a large machine especially you should never be relying on the software triggering the E-Stop. It is fine to have a signal going to Mach to signal an E-Stop situation but you should also have  the second pole on the E-Stop button connected to what  is commonly called the E-Stop string. In other words it should drop the circuit to all the contactors to your drives so that they at least stop even if there is an issue with the software not seeing the signal.

I am just having a look at your xml and it seems you also may have Normally open switches for limits and E-Stop would also seem to be a normally open switch, that is a very bad idea as if a connection comes loose or a wire breaks you will no nothing of the fault until you try to use them and they dont work.

Is this machine connected via the parallel port?

I will look further through your xml and see if I can find an issue.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 01:59:10 PM »
I checked the incremental and its off.  I did plug a usb drive in the machine that I dont normaly use this morning and I am wondering if there is a possibilty a virus of some sort might have corrupted something. This is the only thing out of the norm thats happened . The machine isnt on the network and has no access to the internet, email etc.

I just finished wiring the estop to also cause servo and spindle drives to enter estop when button is pushed insead of relying on software alone. One of those things I have just (foolishly) put off   Good point on the NO switch for estop, I will surely address this today before using the machine any further, had never thought of the loose connection possibility. The limits are deeply buried in the machine and might be a bit more of a project to change. Need to find a small person to climb thru the opening in the top of the machine to reach them