Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:39:49 AM

Author Topic: new computer  (Read 9425 times)

Re: new computer
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 08:14:21 PM »
I remember I had to setup Windows XP to be turned off with the power button... I did everything said in this post, but my Mach won't talk to my cnc... I think I have to setup Win xp so it turns off with the power button for some algorithm reasons...

When I move my key pad, the numbers change on mach 3 but no movement... I had to  use a parallel to usb wire on this laptop.... is there a problem in using this, new computers do not have lpt1 (parallel ports) anymore...

I hope to have my cnc up and running by Monday so please help... I tried to look-up this problem in the search bar, probably don't use the right terms....

Dan
www.woodanpassionsigns.com
A good day starts with how you see it....

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 06:36:56 AM »
Dan,

The bad news is that you may never have it running from your laptop without using a separate motion controller such as the Smooth Stepper. I have no idea what your parallel to USB wire is capable of (driving a printer perhaps) but it is highly unlikely it would be suitable for Mach3 use.

Your best option IMHO is to obtain an old PC with a parallel port as a CNC dedicated computer and use that.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 08:10:08 AM »
A USB to parallel adapter will NOT work. If you want to use USB, you'll need to use a Smoothstepper.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 12:11:45 PM »
HI guysm your right, I got the news this Morning from Scott at licences.... I did take a look at the smooth stepper, I hope they have an enclosed external  version for laptops.

The usb to parrallel wire did make my plotter work, but it seems that it won't drive the cnc....

I'm waiting on the guys from warp9 tech, I'll post the results for further references on the forum...

Thanks for taking the time !!!:)

Dan

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 12:22:10 PM »
Thanks Dan,

It's always nice when final outcomes are posted as there are many that follow, sometimes years later.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 02:21:55 PM »
Guys, I'm so mistified... I've installed Mach3 in 3 diferent computers in the past few days and I always have the same problem in all 3 computers....lags

My original laptop wich has been running mach3 for almost 4 years without a glitch. It was running win p with 2go proc and 512 mb ram. I then installed on an old desktop that I had with lpt1 (parallel port), it's an amd xp2400+ with winxp, 1.6go proc 2 gig ram.

The other I tried is a win xp laptop , an hp nc6400 with twin 2 go proc an 3 gig ram... they allrun well till I start Mach3. Then it's sluggish to the point that the numbers in mach3 do not change fluidly, it goes for example from 12 to 14 t 19 to 25...then when I shut down Mach, the computer remains sluggish, windows take time to come up and down, . I even tried to turn on my first laptop and plainly run corel draw, runs fine. I got V-carve to calculate a complex v carving toolpath and it went fine. Then , started mach 3 and it did not even start. it seized with the mach3 logo in the screen... I know mach3 is a great software, it's earned me a good living 8 to 12 hours a day for the past 4 years. But I tried installing many versions. from the one I had ( 2.42) to the latest. Then i tried with 2.62 wich mentions on the welcome screen "cnccontroller for winxp and 2K ... no luck.

I updated all hardware drivers, video drivers even reformatted my old original laptop etc... no luck. Is there something I'm missing here... ???

This comes as I decided to hire an operator,He came in on his first day, and  As I turned on the computer, then started Mach3..... waited..... waited... looked so lame... I had cutte signs for many hours the day before without a single hint that things were to get so wrong....

I know this is as long as a testamanet but I'm tryinf hard to put things in a perspective... Dan

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 03:33:54 AM »
Hi Dan,

The fact that everything was working OK for so long but now it does not work indicates, to me, that something has changed.

Have you made any changes to your installation ?
Have the power company ripped out your earth stake ?
Etc. Etc.

Something has changed, think hard, what have you repaired ?  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 07:25:42 AM »
Welll, you know what, i did start using a really lon extensio cable, you speaking of ground stakes.... Maybe grounding is not so good since this thing is some 50 feet long. I started using it because I ran out of sockets, since my air compressor did not work properly ( I thought it was amperage drop due to length of extension), I decided to plug  the laptop in it instead... I'll look into that... Because all 3 computers worked fine when I set them up inside the house.... They startedd to go crazy when plugged in the shop, Last night ( cause it keeps me from a good night sleep) I tought it was my controller that was failed....

Dan

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 07:36:55 AM »
Maybe a good idea to check earth continuity and correct polarity of live / neutral on that extension cable then  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 03:37:53 PM »
I've also seen the holes in the female connector be off shape and not make good contact. Also when checking continuity between pins wiggle the cable near each connector to check for intermittent connections.

Kabol