Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:16:29 AM

Author Topic: Bridgeport series I cnc retrofit w/24 position ATC  (Read 6495 times)

Bridgeport series I cnc retrofit w/24 position ATC
« on: January 29, 2011, 04:09:38 PM »

Hello all, I am new here and could use some tips, pointers, info, and just plain help. I hope that I have the proper location for this type of post. I'm sorry if I have this in the wrong section.

Some about me first:

I own a small shop and have done a retrofit on a lathe in the past (manual lathe to Ahha CNC running on there software in DOS). I have a Hurco CNC knee mill, but I have always preferred the machines with box ways over the v ways and dreamed of auto tool changes.

Now about the project:

I picked up a Bridgeport series I CNC with a 24 position ATC. Machine came with 50 plus tool holders, 2 collet sets, Manuals, ect. It is said to be in operational condition, but I have not even put power to it yet. I have no plans on running it the way it is and want to do a retro on it. The iron is in excellent condition. Testing by hand at this point seems as though every thing moves smooth and feels tight.  The machine looks like the ones in the pictures below (hope it works right).

I am out of town for another week, but when I get back to the shop I will take detailed pictures of the actual machine in question.

Now for what I don't know:

There seems to little information out there for this machine. What BOSS is this machine? I has servos so I would have thought BOSS 8 or up, but it is a series I (BOSS 7 and down?). I have never in 25 years in the trade worked with any Bridgeport CNC's so I don't know much about them.

My plan was that I would use Ajax CNC BOSS 8+ retrofit kit as it reuses the servos and has the option for the ATC. Then the more I looked around the better Mach looked. It seems as though I could also use Mach on my Ahha conversion and get more out of the lathe than I am now. Would be nice to have the same GUI on the machines so you don't have to teach every new emp. multiple GUI's  and the Hurco too. I wave been watching the post on the Bridgeport CNC VMC with ATC with great intrest. What an amazing machine now that he is done with it. Gives me inspiration for my retro.  

I would love to hear from those of you that have experience with Mach, BOSS, and ATC's. Any input on hardware, OEM servos or new, what to watch out for, ect. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks.  
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 04:17:08 PM by Budget Machine Tool »
It may not be rocket science, but try to send a man to the moon with out a machinist.
Re: Bridgeport series I cnc retrofit w/24 position ATC
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 07:09:49 PM »
Hi,

I am currently doing a series 2 CNC machine with the Ajax set up. 
Not running yet, but should be in a couple of months.

The only knee mill that BP made with a tool changer was very unreliable. 
The BP service guy who I spoke with told me that the thing would throw
the tools.  Maybe you can solve the issue it had.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Scott

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 08:03:56 PM »
I sure hope so. I have spoken with a few people who have had there machines re powered and the only real complaint that they have is the speed of the ATC's rotation.

The more I look into ajax the more I'm not sure about going that way. They say that they have the best game in town, but some report that there support is less than good. That makes me worry that if I do have problems with the ATC that they wont be of much help.
It looks like Mach is well supported and if they don't know some of the people that have worked with it and done amazing thing are always willing to help.

Do you have a post going on your retrofit? I would love to keep up on it if so.

Also, can some one tell me what I am doing wrong? I have tried several times to post pictures to this post and just can't get them to go. Seems like it should be straight forward, but I'm starting to think that I must not be as I think I am.

Thanks
It may not be rocket science, but try to send a man to the moon with out a machinist.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 03:58:53 AM »
Also, can some one tell me what I am doing wrong? I have tried several times to post pictures to this post and just can't get them to go. Seems like it should be straight forward, but I'm starting to think that I must not be as I think I am.

Thanks
Use the additional options button on the reply page then browse your drives to your pics and attach.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:54:01 AM »
I still haven't had a chance to take photos of the machine,  but I did manage to get it squeezed into the shop. I looked it over some more and now know that it runs on BOSS 7.2 and every thing looks to be in good condition. I put power to it and things powered up ok but had a limit error. I didn't take the time to put air to the machine to see if that is it or not.

I will look at it more in a week or so and continue to make a plan.

I have however decided to do my YAM-550 Lathe conversion first. It will be simpler, quicker, and give me ideas for doing this machine.
I'll start a post for that machine in a little wile with the details.