Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 02:38:11 PM

Author Topic: LED, steppers and Mach  (Read 2599 times)

LED, steppers and Mach
« on: January 27, 2011, 04:57:04 PM »
I don't know much about electronics, so i hope u can help me.

My idea is that i put 6 LEDs, each one for motion in one directions. Example, LED1 is for motion in +x direction, LED2 for x-, etc. I use stepper motors and they change voltage between their phases, so i can't connect LED directly to them. If anybody have any idea i am more then willing to hear it.

Also, i am interested is this can be achieved with Mach3? Is there any way that i said to Mach if there is motion in +x direction that he put +5V on output pin? Since i have only one parallel port and i don't have options on my interface board to use many output pins, can i do this from serial port? Or i must have 2 parallel ports? (this can be problem since i don't have that option on my PC motherboard; i can get adapter who turn serial to parallel port, but then what is set-up for Mach - with 2 parallel ports or it is still with serial?)
Re: LED, steppers and Mach
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 11:55:10 PM »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: LED, steppers and Mach
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 05:51:49 AM »
Dzony,

One way something similar could be achieved is to connect two LED’s (each reversed in direction) with series resistors (to limit current) to each LPT axis direction pin (after it has been through it’s buffer or opto isolator chip on the breakout board – don’t want to overload the LPT port), the other side of one LED would connect to +5V the other to 0V. The direction pin for each axis is either HI or LO and one or other of each pair of LED’s will always be on reflecting the direction that axis is moving in or last moved in.

Not the best idea but just a thought.

Tweakie.
PEACE