Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:08:58 AM

Author Topic: Keygrabber improvements  (Read 6150 times)

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
Keygrabber improvements
« on: January 27, 2011, 02:21:44 PM »
I have started using Keygrabber on my lathe recently. It is really good for use with a remote numerical keypad on the door for jogging, I added buttons for rapid and incremental jogging. But Keygrabber seems to have stuff that needs working on to make it mesh with Mach better. Could keygrabber be totally intergrated into Mach somehow, right now I have to start it seperately and then it can be finicky. The program will move off to the lower toolbar on XP, but I am not really sure if it is still running, you have to click on it, then it won't come up again. I tried making it start on Windows startup but it still needs attention to work right. It wont let Windows shut down if it is still running either. All in all, a really wonderful addition to Mach, but I think it still needs work to be great.
Re: Keygrabber improvements
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 02:53:22 PM »
What about this:

Profiles:

If you have different Mach profiles then save the config with a different name (it must be put in the Mach folder). Now edit your Mach shortcut and add the config filename directly after KeyGrabber.exe. For example C:\Mach3\KeyGrabber.exe Turn.grab /p Mach3Turn would open the turn.grab config file. The /p Mach3Turn will still be passed on to Mach3.

By the way: There is a "KeyGrabberReadMe.doc" in the Mach directory which explains how the keygrabber works.

best regards,
Konrad

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 04:06:17 PM »
Thanks Konrad, that is right.

Dave, here is a picture in an old thread if it helps.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,1391.msg9376.html#msg9376

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 01:00:01 AM »
Not really sure you guys are understanding where I am coming from. I don't see why Keygrabber is a different program and can't be intergrated into mach as a permanent part of the whole program. I did try changing the target as Hood showed me in another thread but it didn't work as it should have. I guess what I am trying to say here is that Mach works very well, and is practically painless to use, but Keygrabber works like, and for all intents and purposes, a sidebar add on with operating bugs. I know someone here is going to throw tomatoes at me now but just please take them out of the can first.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 02:05:38 AM »
Not sure what you are meaning by
I did try changing the target as Hood showed me in another thread but it didn't work as it should have
Does keygrabber start and then Mach? If not you likely dont have the spacing correct. If it does start then you should see the smiley face in your windows notification area (where time is)

Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 07:20:38 PM »
Dave, I know what your saying.  I understand it that Keygrabber was an add on donated by users and I doubt it will ever be worked on again.  Im not sure if anyone has the source code.  I like it a lot myself but it has it limits.  Launching Mach through it by altering your shortcut shouldn't be one of them though.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 03:49:55 PM »
Keygrabber works great here.
It does take some proper typing to get it to work.

Every time I setup a new computer it takes a few tries to get it to work properly.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 06:35:37 AM »
There is a zip file of the source code in th efiles section of the yahoo group. I'm no programmer but have downloaded them incase I can make heads or tails out of it.

My problem with KG is that I want to use it with a wireless xbox controller (expand the button assignments over that presently available in the plugin from the idea originally posted by Zaaephod ) but unfortunately if the controller hibernates and comms are lost, KG is unable to recover and only a reboot of Mach will reiniiate recognition of the controller.

I have no idea how hard/easy this would be to modify in the source code but it sure would be a very handy improvement... well for me at least :)

Cheers

Mark
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 07:03:40 AM »
Oh yeah .. and adding Alt as one of the special keys would be good too.

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 11:58:53 AM »
Keygrabber works great here.
It does take some proper typing to get it to work.

Every time I setup a new computer it takes a few tries to get it to work properly.

Mike

I wish I could say that, when you start it, it usually comes up, then when you go back to Mach, it dissapears, and is not on the lower Windows toolbar, like it has closed again. Sometimes an icon appears on the right side, you click on that and that makes it close also. When you FINALLY get it to open and stay open, the first time it just does nothing as far as making the keys you have selected, work. You mess with it a couple more times and it will finally work right. IMHO, just does not work professionally as Mach always does.