Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:45:10 AM

Author Topic: Jogging strangeness  (Read 12858 times)

Jogging strangeness
« on: January 27, 2011, 06:59:18 AM »
Hi, everyone. New Mach3 user and fairly new to CNC in general. I have a Romaxx WD-1 with a closed loop system. When first starting up Mach3, I can do continuous jogging and MPG jogging. If I try to do step jogging, all jogging becomes disabled, i.e., continuous and MPG won't work. However, if I then run a toolpath (any toolpath, even for 1 second), all jogging then works fine, including step jogging. I can live with this, just running a toolpath briefly whenever I first start up, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever encountered this behavior and knows of a fix. Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.
Larry

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Jogging strangeness
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 07:34:59 AM »
Not heard of that before, can you attach your xml please.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 08:18:45 AM »
Thanks, Hood. Here's the .xml file.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 08:30:33 AM »
You seem to have a few outputs set up as Port Zero, what are they for as you dont have ModBus set up so cant see it being a PLC etc?

You also have duplicate inputs, you have Input1 and 2 as the same port and pins as OEM Triggers 1 and 2

Try loading the standard screenset and seeing if that makes a difference.
Hood
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 08:33:14 AM by Hood »
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 09:54:43 AM »
Hood, I have no idea about the outputs. The .xml is provided by Romaxx and the only change supposedly needed is to enter the correct port address for the second LPT port (which I did). The encoder board connects to the 2nd LPT port and is for the MPG wheel and the closed loop circuit. Romaxx doesn't provide info for settings of any of the other inputs/outputs, and since I am not familiar with Mach3 yet, it's not something I would have any idea about. I would have thought the .xml from Romaxx would have been already set up for my particular machine.
Using the standard screenset has the same effect: no step jogging when first starting up, all jogging disable is I attempt to step jog, and then, after running a toolpath momentarily, all jogging functions back to normal.
Larry

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:46:58 AM »
That xml is a mess to be honest, lots of setup I/O that is disabled etc

Do you have any Brains loaded? Any plugins enabled?
Hood
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 10:57:13 AM »
Hood, no Brains (not me, the software!) that I know of, and the additional plugins I have are one for the Romaxx machine (I believe it is for the closed loop system and possibly the MPG wheel), and one for an XBox controller. To eliminate the XBox controller as the source of the problem, I did a completely fresh install of Mach3 and only installed the Romaxx plugin. Same problem, so I then installed the XBox controller, which works fine.
If you can suggest how to modify the .xml so it isn't a "mess," I would certainly appreciate it. Maybe that will cure the issue.
Larry

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 11:10:56 AM »
That xml is a mess to be honest, lots of setup I/O that is disabled etc
Ain't that the truth. It's not just that the jogging doesn't work, when I loaded this xml with the standard screenset, after selecting step jog, the whole keyboard didn't work. Also if you select a DRO as if to enter something, it de-selects itself after about half a second.

I turned off port 2 completely and the charge pump on port 1 and it all worked fine - for about 5 minutes - but now I can't get anything out of it unless I restart. Also the MDI is flaky - sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Worse if it doesn't work and you hit cycle start with no gcode loaded it does what you last typed into the MDI - scary!

Also I've had a fair old collection of inapropriate error messages on the status line for no apparant reason.

Sorry - but even if you got jogging working - personally I wouldn't trust control of a machine to this. Not if I wanted to keep my fingers anyway.

Ian

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 11:46:07 AM »
Sounds like it may be the plugin for the encoder board.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 12:21:19 PM »
Can you send me the plugin  and I will see if I can make sense of things tonight, will PM you my email address.
Hood