Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:12:47 PM

Author Topic: Lost my orientation...  (Read 6637 times)

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
Lost my orientation...
« on: November 15, 2006, 07:51:21 AM »
Hi,I have a need to re-establish how Mach3 effects my mills perspective of negative and positive quadrants(e.g.-which actual direction 'negative X' ,etc. will go). I recall seeing a function for this many moons ago on Mach2 but I can't seem to find it in Mach3.-Thanks,Keith

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Lost my orientation...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 10:14:26 AM »
Hey Keith,
     Does this help? Is this what you were looking for?
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 10:16:15 AM »
Hi Keith,

always image the tool is moving not the table, then you can use the right hand rule.

Stand in front of the machine with the X axis moving left to right in front of you.

Poke your right thumb to the right (X) your first finger away from you (Y) and your second finger up (Z),  these are all your PLUS movements.

I hope this is what you meant.

Graham.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 03:37:22 AM by Graham Waterworth »
Without engineers the world stops

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 11:35:51 AM »
Thank you both. Yes Chaoticone,that was the place I was looking for. I love those rules using the hand(I always have mine on me).But ok,here goe's. I have a Sherline machine. From the start of my process first learning the mill( a year and a half now) I adapted to the fact that when I drew something(in Rhino) my axis started in the reverse quadrant.Ok,so going to the page Chaoticone just displayed, none of the 'Reversed' boxes are on. Recently I've been using a program called 'pcb-gcode' to cut circuit boards. To make a long story short with that,I've needed to finesse(that is in this case to make the top layer look like the top layer but call it the bottom layer) to get it to cut properly(of course very important with polarized components and pins to I.C.s). OK,now using Grahams 'hand rule' I see that my machine's X-axis,is not complying to the rule. So I guess I should 'reverse' the x-axis. So is this something that Sherline used as a standard(I did not solder the stepper control wires,they came as it is now).Anyway,I think that should do it. Thanks,Keith
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 08:21:15 AM »
Graham,
nice, but here in the States we have a similar rule with the left hand but you roll the thumb and first finger inward and stick it out the car window. LOL

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 08:36:15 AM »
Yes, It means, have a nice day friend. I have alot of friends. They give me the sign all the time. ;D
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!