Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 05:31:57 PM

Author Topic: Need help w/ taper milling  (Read 3485 times)

Need help w/ taper milling
« on: January 21, 2011, 02:05:03 PM »
Hi all:
I'm new to "machsupport" and could really use someone's expertise.  I need to taper mill  a 12" hole with a radius. I have all the Mach3 "wizards" including the pay-to-use ones from "Newfangledsolutions" loaded. All I can find is one for 2d in the lathe section. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
BDR70

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Need help w/ taper milling
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 04:33:01 PM »
I dont think there is such a wizard.
A mill is not really a good machine to make a tapered hole with as it would need very small moves and would take a long time to get a decent finish. If possible you should look to see if you can get a tapered milling cutter, then it would be a reasonably quick job and the circle cutting wizard in NewFangled ones would do it as you can define a pitch to move down in.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 12:31:40 PM »
Hood:
Thank you. What I'm actually trying to produce is a tapered hole with a radius. A tapered end mill won't do it. It would be more similar to a "cornering" endmill. The part would look similar to the air intake on a jet engine, with a radius on the leading edge. I also have "bobcad v17", but am not familiar enough w/ it's 3D to produce the necessary "G" code.  After my experiences with "bobcad's free lifetime" tech support, I gave up on them.  "free lifetime tech support" was  one of their big selling points, but the "lifetime" part seemed to expire with the death of their office mascot and was going to cost $100.00 a year thereafter.  They even accused me of altering the original paperwork they sent w/ the program to include the word "free lifetime". Good program (as far as I can tell) but pathetic, questionable customer support.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 01:49:49 PM »
2 ways to do it IF it is a round hole.

1. Let a 3d cad/cam do all the work
2. Put new batteries in the calculator and work out the step over and diameters to do the radius. Start with milling a hole at the smallest diam all the way thru to the bottom. Then start working your way from the top to the bottom doing ever smaller spiral pockets. It is time consuming but can be done. You cna start with rough cutting with larger stepover then finish off with a really fine stepover to give a mooth finish.

(;-)TP
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 02:25:21 PM »
BR549:
Excellent suggestion.....That'll work...Thank you
BDR70