Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:00:26 PM

Author Topic: questions  (Read 4613 times)

questions
« on: January 18, 2011, 11:22:30 PM »
I am new here so I will try not to ask stupid questions. or repeat old ones that I can find..
I am Curios though. I just got a series 1 bridgeport cnc it has stepper motors all it needs is a controller. I am a little way from setting it up. I am still using my manual mill so......what do I need to get this cnc going. can I use a laptop? what do you guys recommend. would it be beneficial to get mach and start figuring out the cad drawing ect. (I am interested in doing so).
does anyone in Fort worth Texas area mind if I came over and learned a few things (I'll buy lunch) Thanks for your responses and putting up with a rookie!! ;)-CAM
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:26:09 PM by CAMForge »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: questions
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 03:04:37 AM »
If it is a standard BOSS control that is on it then afraid its not just as simple as connecting a computer with Mach, you will need to modify the wiring and add some hardware. There was a guy called Hillbilly that made a board that you could use for this, I opted for the gut out the old crap and replace with new method.

Laptops are a bad idea if you are  planning on using the computer to do the pulsing (using the parallel port) Some work fine but a lot dont and for that reason Artsoft say they are not officially supported unless you are using an external motion control device such as the SmoothStepper, DSPMC etc

Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 08:31:09 AM »
thank you very much!-CAM
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 07:46:11 PM »
Can someone direct me to users of Sherline cnc mills?  I have a Sherline rotary problem and need some help.  Thanks.

Songlight

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 07:49:25 PM »
Songlight,
What problem are you having with the rotary table?
RICH
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:04:22 PM »
Hi Rich
Will post tomorrow.
Too hard to post on phone. Thanks for reply.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 04:22:06 PM »
1/21/11 THIS FOLLOWING WAS REMOVED FROM "DID YOU KNOW THIS" THREAD

Hi Rich,

I have a Hobby cnc 3 axis  controller by Dave Rogotti using Mach3.  All three axis are working and I am now controlling the Sherline cnc rotary table by switching the y axis with the a axis.  My problem is getting the table to run smoothly.  Also it will only run at a certain f speed ( 35 ipm )  I have tried to tweak it through motor tuning but it still oscillates unless it is at the 35ipm speed. 

If you need more info, I will try to provide it.

Thanks for any help.

Songlight
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 12:09:14 PM »
Hey Fellas, is anyone in the Fort Worth area using this Mach3 on a regular basis?  I have a shop, just bought an (Industrial CNC 4x8 XYZ Axis) and am trying to get some programing done and would like some help.  Does anyone know where I can find such a person?  Thanks