Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 04:26:46 AM

Author Topic: Auto Connect  (Read 6656 times)

Auto Connect
« on: January 18, 2011, 02:05:25 PM »
Hi folks,
  Hope someone can help me.
This thing pops up automatically in the tray and connects my PC to the internet (IE7) all by itself. Sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes right after boot up, sometimes not at all but usually within 5 minutes.
Any idea what the heck it is and if/where I can turn it off ?
I'm on dial up and have to be sure to shut the PC down or it will stay connected all of the time ..... real PITA.
Thanks,
Russ
Re: Auto Connect
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 03:39:07 PM »
Is they're any program that look for update, this could be your problem, or:

Configure the program that automatically checks for updated components or Web pages so that it does not start when Windows XP starts.

Disable Autodial
To disable autodial, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
   2. If you are using Category View, click Network and Internet Connections.
   3. Click Network Connections, and then on the Advanced menu, click Dial-up Preferences.
   4. Click the Autodial tab.
   5. Click to clear the check boxes that are listed under Enable autodial by location.
   6. Click to select the Always ask me before autodialing check box (if not already selected).
   7. Click to select the Disable autodial while I am logged on check box.
   8. Click OK, and then close the Network Connections dialog box.

OR:

1. Start Internet Explorer. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
   2. Click the Connections tab, and then click Never dial a connection.
   3. Click OK.

To set the AutoConnect value in the registry key to 0, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
   2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
   3. Locate and select the following registry key:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\RemoteAccess\Profile\<ConnectionName>
      In the right pane, double-click the AutoConnect value, and then reset the value from 1 to 0.

Jeff

andrewm

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 03:41:43 PM »
It should be in you're remove programs under the control panel. If want to uninstall it. Other then that it should be in you're start menu under all programs. I would think it would have a settings file in its folder or at the very least a setting/Preferences tab when the program starts. (Either a stand alone tab or under the Files tab) In the settings tab you should be able to disable the start when windows start option.

Or under network settings and connections you should be able to see it as a connections, then just right click on it and choose disconnect.(If its running)

*EDIT*
Jeff's explanation is better, and I never have to connect with dial-up :p
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:43:40 PM by AndrewM »
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 04:17:47 PM »
Jeff, I've turned off everything I can find. If I set "Never Dial " it will not connect when I start the browser like normal.
Its random, never know when it will connect.
I cannot find what it is associated with. All it does is connect, then nothing is running at all. Just sitting blank and connected.
Can't find that icon anywhere on the entire system. If it were looking for an update or something, I would have plenty of time to see something running as the connection is slower than snail mail. As soon as it connects, there's nothing.
Just ties up my phone if I dont catch it.

If I start up and immedietly watch the Task Manager, would it show the process running maybe ?
Thanks Guys

andrewm

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 05:08:22 PM »
It might be easier for you to just manually dial when you want to use the internet and manually disconnect when you are done.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 05:58:45 PM »
OK, as you suggest, that will be the plan for now, thanks Andrew.
Sometimes these things have a mind of their own.
Regards,
Russ
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 07:38:43 PM »
Maybe you could verify your browser for bad cookies.

This is not a funny task since this takes time.

Look for suspect cookies, Google search for this name, you could find your answer there.

Hope this will work.

Doubleclick.com and .net are those kind of cookies that you want to remove from the list

Jeff

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 03:18:29 AM »
Russ,

If it's a Trojan or worm this little puppy will find it http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/details.html
The trial version lasts for 30 days.
To remove other unwanted active components from a windows installation Glary Utilities is good http://www.glarysoft.com/
This is free for non-commercial use.

Good luck.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 05:14:31 AM »
You really don't want to hear this but going back a few years before I had broadband I somehow picked up an unwanted dialer. It wasn't until I got he phone bill that I found out my PC had been dialing a premium rate number in the Cayman Islands. I took the matter to a tribunal stating that my phone company was complicit in the scam by allowing the call despite knowledge that it was a con trick (I had evidence that others had already complained to the phone company about this dialer) and subsequently had my money refunded.
I was extremely careful after that experience.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 08:42:03 AM »
Thanks Tweakie,
I can tell when a long distance call goes out. The lights dim and the snow instantly begins to melt from the neighbors barbed wire fence as that's where my service comes in from.  (smile)
  I'll try Simply Super. I was told that some of these downloads actuall install evil things to keep you coming back and to justify their product. After my limited exposure to what can be done with computer programming, (mostly here on this forum) slick folks can do what they want. I guess I am just at their mercy.
Ooooooo ... 10 meg dwnld, that'll take an hour or so.
Russ