Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:17:02 AM

Author Topic: Still stymied by my LPTs  (Read 6965 times)

Still stymied by my LPTs
« on: January 13, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
I had been using my Mach3, WINXP, Zylotex, Sherline 5400 mill setup for some time when, just after Christmas, I started having harddrive problems.  I've switched to another HD, but can't get the setup working again, apparently because of LPT problems.  I recall I had problems there initially, too.

I'm using a Rosewill PCI board with 2 additional PPs.

Checking Device Manager, I see LPT3 as being at 0xDD00, and set Mach3 Port1 equal to that value (enabled).  Incidentally, when I change the port address in Ports and Pins, I have to force the Apply button to become active.  Subsequent checking confirms the new address.

Motor Outputs are enabled for X, Y and Z.  With the cable connected, I get DRO values to change, but no motor movement.

Checking with a multimeter, I see unchanging +4.90v on pins 2 through 7, which are the assigned Dir and Step pins.

I've run DriverTest, and get Excelllent results.

What else shall I try?

Charley

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Still stymied by my LPTs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 04:41:27 PM »
You say you have a board with 2 additional ports, could you be connected to one of them and entering the address of the other?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 04:58:37 PM »
Well, a search on this forum turned up a Rosewill reference which stated that the connector on the board (the other connector is on a cable) is assigned LPT3.  This was the address I used first (dd00 Hex).

Never believing anything I read on the Internet, I've tried all addresses shown through Device Manager (dc00, de00, df00).  No go on any of them.

Charley
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 05:06:12 PM »
BTW, I can't remember if I ever got this setup to work with LPT1, the PP on the motherboard.  I tried again this time, with no success.  The BIOS choices for the port are: SPP and EPP1.9+SPP.  Should either of those work?

Charley

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
Afraid its been a while since I messed with the PP but think EPP is the one to use.

If you attach your xml I can have a look at your config to see if there are any problems there.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 05:19:40 PM »
My bad.  Shoulda done that already.

Charley

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 05:23:44 PM »
Ok Config, Ports and Pins then Motor Setup, you need to enter the port number for each axis Step and Dir.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 05:24:45 PM »
Oh actually you dont have any pins set either, maybe that is the wrong xml you sent or have you just forgotten to do that as well?
Hood
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 05:54:27 PM »
I appreciate your patience.  My confusion is an indication of the number of repetitions I've gone through.  I had half a dozen xml files.  I've deleted them all, and reconfigured using Mach3Mill.xml.

The Diagnostics Tab, BTW, now shows some lit LEDs, but I'm not sure what that indicates.  On the top row, the first 3 are dim, the next 5 are green, the last 4 are dim.  I tried changing the Port values to 2 and 3, but still get changing DROs with no motor movement.

I'm trying to attach Mach3Mill.xml, but the forum software isn't cooperating, saying that there's already an attachment by that name.  I'll try changing its name and attaching.

Charley

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 05:58:13 PM »
The port number for the step and dir for each axis should be 1, have youu tried that?
Hood