Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:38:28 AM

Author Topic: Wierd LPT problem  (Read 4440 times)

Wierd LPT problem
« on: January 12, 2011, 11:54:16 AM »

Hi all, I've been using my Mach3 lathe for quite a few years without too many problems.

Today, I was running the same code as always and in the middle of the run both axis stopped.

I checked through from drive power to the lpt cable and discovered that the computer is not outputting any steps
on the pins. I connected an oscilloscope to the lpt1 connector and checked pins 2 and 3, The direction signal on pin3
works ok but no signal on pin2.

I then swapped the pins in Mach3 and tested again and I have direction on pin2 but no output on pin3 so the lpt port is ok.

This 1200 mhz computer only runs Mach3 on Win2000 nothing else. I have not loaded any new software or done anything but use mach3
on it. I then re-installed Mach ontop of the existing version and still have the problem.

Any ideas..

Cheers
John

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Wierd LPT problem
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 01:52:56 PM »
Tried deleting the PP in device manager and restarting windows?

Run the driver test and see what it looks like.

Load a mill screen and see what the Frequ and  Time in int say on diagnostics page.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 06:13:05 AM »
Hi Hood, Ok so I did that, freq says 1210mhz and time int says 9.4 and 10 (jumps about alot).

No progress with steps though.

When doing driver test for the second time after boot it says pulsing too fast and then settles down to "successful".

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 10:35:41 AM »
Hi, I got further with it today, I decided to swap my Mill computer onto the Orac lathe and transfer copies of my profile and macros.

As the mill computer only needs one lpt port I had to install the lpt2 card from the lathe computer.

When I got booted I had to configure the 2nd port and I got the axis to work again. The second lpt wasn't configured correctly as my
tool turret was spinning. I got the configuration right as the tool turret stopped but lost the axis again.

Now the bad bit, I then put the mill computer back on the mill minus the 2nd lpt card and fired it up, now I have no axis on the mill either.

Is it possible a bad 2nd port pci card could burn some pins on the primary lpt port?

Head in hands, looks like i'm 2 motherboards down now.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 01:20:20 PM »
I would not think its possible for a PCI port to damage an onboard one.
Things to check is you have the correct port address and maybe even the BIOS settings for the port.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 02:30:53 PM »

Am I  having a senior moment day or what! I discovered the mill is ok, I forgot to put thr 5v for step dir on the gecko's back into the computer.

So,ooo, Back to the Orac, I have discovered that my Sinclair battery operated oscilloscope cant see the lpt step pulses. I got the suitcase sized oscilloscope out and there they were. All the ports are ok.

I then moved half the workshop and a good brushing of cobwebs to get to the back of the Orac lathe to discover that there is no 5v on the Gecko enable pins. I started to remove the screw from one of the drives and the 5v came back and everything's working again.

Arrg.

Thanks for you help hood.

John.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 04:40:34 PM »
Ha ha alls well that ends well and as long as you have some hair left to pull out the next time all is  good :)

Hood