Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:40:27 AM

Author Topic: Backing up settings and Homing / limits question  (Read 6470 times)

Backing up settings and Homing / limits question
« on: January 08, 2011, 03:01:50 PM »
Hi there,

Can any one answer a couple of Q's for me please.

1, is there any way to back up all the settings on Mach 3 so I can restore if I have a PC problem, I've made so many changes to get it all running correctly I'm worried I might lose it all.

2 Regarding the homing switches, is there a way to 'back off' further than the standard amount as I get a limit switch error when I reference home and need to take the switch off to reset it as it doesn't quite get past it.

and one last question, is 'home' top back and left?

Many thanks,

Neil.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Backing up settings and Homing / limits question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 04:34:01 PM »
The xml for your profile holds most settings, the macro folder of your profile holds all macros, tooltable and fixture offsets. Brains folder and plugins folder are worth backing up if you have any. Screenset and associated bitmaps if you have a custom one and any licences such as Mach1Lic.dat WizLic.dat.
I think Klaus has just added options to his xml compare programme to automatically save settings but not checked it out so not sure exactly what it saves.

No way to back off further as such as Mach stops when the switch closes again, if your switches are not the best quality or you have noise then Mach may see them close before they actually are properly closed, in this case you can set a debounce interval on General Config page, try 2000. Personally I would get better switches or eliminate the noise rather than use the debounce but thats just my thoughts.

Home can be anywhere you like but machine coords zero is your tool positioned at lower left corner of your work area. If you  home to a different location you can set a home off value equal to the distance that axis is away from the machine coords zero position.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 05:04:27 PM »
Hi Hood,

Machprofile saves profiles, macros, fixtures, tooltables and the license file. You can select what group of files to save / restore. Please update to version 2.01, since version 2.00 doesn't restore data. With version 2.01 you can off course restore data saved with version 2.00

Klaus
The brain isn't a soap, it doesn't shrink when used.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 05:34:32 PM »

Home can be anywhere you like but machine coords zero is your tool positioned at lower left corner of your work area.

Umm, Can't machine coordinate 0,0 be anywhere you want?? Might not be standard procedure, but it is possible.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 05:58:29 PM »
home can be anywhere
 machine 0,0 can be anywhere,
User 0,0 can be anywhere
and you can work in 1 or all 4 quandrants.
Name your poison.

(;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 07:20:42 PM »
Yes it can be but it is convention and may make life difficult if you go against convention, but every one to their own  :)
Hood

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 08:26:17 PM »
HOOD I agree whole heartedly, but some people are dead set on reinventing the process.

(;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 09:50:04 PM »
Terry
 yes that is true.

Klaus,
 Sorry never saw your reply earlier, sounds like it will be an excellent addition.

Hood
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 03:22:21 AM »
OK great news, thanks for the replies - if I update to version 2.01, will it keep the settings already there and just 'update' ?

Many thanks.
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 03:29:21 AM »
Hi Phatjap

it keeps the settings, just install the new version V2.01

Klaus
The brain isn't a soap, it doesn't shrink when used.