Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:25:37 AM

Author Topic: Yet another charge pump question  (Read 11047 times)

Yet another charge pump question
« on: January 07, 2011, 07:08:28 PM »
HI,

I am setting up Mach 3 with a Geckodrive G540.  

When I turn the charge pump switch off on the front panel of the G540, I have normal stepper motor control.  Good so far.

When the charge pump switch is on, and Mach 3 is not running, the G540 fault light come on, so far so good.

I have port 1 pin 16 configured to output the charge pump signal in Mach 3.  The LPT1 port is in EPP.

If I set "charge pump on in estop" true in the config, I can press reset in Mach 3 and the G540 goes ready.  I suspect this tells me that the electrical connectivity for pin 16 is fine.  Pressing RESET does not fault the g540, as I would expect with the charge pump signal always active.  the hardware estop switch does fault the g540 normally though, and I see estop toggle on the diagnostics screen as i would expect.

If "charge pump on in estop" is set to false, when I send a reset, the g540 flashes green and immediately goes back to red (fault), I suspect due to the estop signal coming from the g540 not toggeling to estop false quickly enough, perhaps?  A race condition of sorts, I think.....

When the reset is pushed and I get a green flash on the g540, I also see a very fast flash on the diagnostics screen "emergency" LED.  I also get the "fix inputs" box pops up at various time in this process when it loses track of the estop state.

Running drivertest gives what the docs say is normal results, a nice straight line with few or no glitches.

I tried setting the charge pump to active low with no real change apparent, either way.

What am I missing here?  I desire that the g540 fault when RESET is pressed, or is it working the way it is supposed to?

Thanks!

Don Gates

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:22:53 PM by dgates80 »
Re: Yet another charge pump question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 07:35:16 PM »
Oh, and the g540 faults, as expected, when Mach3 is shut down, and goes ready when mach 3 is started with "charge pump on in estop" = true.  Hmmmmm.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 01:03:23 PM »
 If I disble the estop input in Mach 3 (port 1, pin 15) then the g540 toggles normally, however it will no sense the hardware estop switch as I would expect.  I think it might be a Mach 3 timing problem.

Suspected sequence of events:
Starting from a Mach 3 "not ready" state, with port 1 pin 15 enabled:

1. I press Mach 3 "reset"
2. Mach 3 enables the charge pump out on pin 16
3. G540 goes ready momentarily (flashes green)
4. Mach 3 checks estop input and still sees estop on pin 15 (flashes estop input red)
5. Mach 3 turns off charge pump signal on pin 16
6. g540 faults due to lack of charge pump signal
7. Mach 3 faults on estop

If there was a short delay in checking estop status I bet this would work.  I like the idea that the motor controller would fault if the motion control software is not running, and I cannot have Mach 3 not fault when the estop switch is activated.  Hmmmmm.

I am running the demo version (still building my machine) version R3.043.022 on Windows 7 Ultimate. It's a AMD 64 machine about a year old, 4gb ram, 2.2 ghz, vanilla machine....

----------------------

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 01:50:38 PM »
Check the active H/L for the estop you may have it backwards for the application.

(;-) TP
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 01:54:33 PM »
Yep, I thought the same thing, tried it both active high annd active low,  can't recall at the moment but one worked and one didn't, sort of toggled basic function (i.e., one was clearly broke and one worked as expected) and did not seem to have an effect on the charge pump thing at all.  Thanks for the suggestion though!  

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 03:03:10 PM »
Go to Gen Config then look in the Gen Config section and look for a checkbox that says Chargepump on in Estop, select it. That will keep the sytem UP so you can test all the inputs
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 03:25:12 PM »
Yep, that works, and the inputs test out fine.  However, I do NOT want charge pump on in estop, however I may be forced to operate that way.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 06:00:33 PM »
Still no joy on the charge pump thing.  Anybody have any ideas? 

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 07:16:02 PM »
Call Gecko.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 07:22:01 PM »
But but but.... everything else is working great!  Good idea though, see what they have to say.  Sure seems like a Mach 3 problem though.   I might fire up EMC2 this weekend and see if I similar behavior, I have been wanting to play with that any way and it's an excuse to buy a new hard drive.  Really do want to go with Mach 3 though, for sure.

I am going to fly up to York, PA for the Cabin Fever Expo, I will run into quite a few CNC'ers there and I will ask around.  I *think* a Mach 3 / Artsoft guy is going to be there too.