Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:34:34 AM

Author Topic: E-stop problem (new set-up)  (Read 3968 times)

E-stop problem (new set-up)
« on: January 07, 2011, 12:48:07 AM »
Hi,  I have a CNC4PC C10 parallel interface card which is plugged into my second parallel port (port 2). I have connected the E-stop into pin 10, switching +5 V and the pin 10 input set to pull down on the pcb.  I can see the input working on the Mach 3 diagnostics screen, the lower 8th from right LED flashing on and off ,"input signals current state". The signal is set to active high and the signal is enabled in ports and pins. The E-stop works fine when testing without hardware inputs and set to active low.
Am I missing something here !!!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: E-stop problem (new set-up)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 03:31:43 AM »
Are you using a Normally Closed or Normally Open E-Stop switch?
Do you have the E-Stop entry in Ports and Pins Inputs set to Port2 Pin10 ?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 05:37:47 PM »
Hi Hood,  I'm using a normally closed switch, so passing +5v back to the C10 board. I have set the E-stop entry in ports and pins to port 2 / pin 10.  The C10 board for this input is set to pull down, so when the E-stop is activated Mach 3 will "see"  0V at the input which should activate the E-stop condition.  This should operate as fail safe by using a NC switch if the cable is damaged.
As I mentioned, I can see the input being activated in the diagnostics page and I have tried different settings in Mach 3 and the C10 board. I'm assuming here that input 10 on the C10 pcb relates to pin 10 on the parallel port?
Any ideas you might have would be gratefully received!!
Regards, Sean

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 05:41:10 PM »
I have no idea about the C10 I am afraid but most BOBs do have the pin numbers corresponding to the pin numbers of the port.
Can you attach your xml and I will see if I can find  a problem in the config.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 06:42:44 PM »
Hi Hood,  My last thought was correct, Mach 3 recognises this input via pin 5.  The C10 user manual doesn't mention any input # / parallel port conversion. The C10 board has a female socket, so I'm using an old Belkin data cable with a male plug on both ends. I've just checked pin to pin with a multimeter and the Belkin cable is crossed and not pin to pin like a standard DB25 cable.  I feel a bit silly now for not checking this sooner.... and having a background in automation!!
Many thanks for your offer of assistance,  I'm sure to post help requests again when I get into software limits and fixtures.
All the best, Sean

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 06:47:36 PM »
Good news, yes these crossover cables can be a PITA ;D

Hood