Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:03:27 AM

Author Topic: Using the Mach3 screens spindle speed indicator  (Read 11474 times)

Using the Mach3 screens spindle speed indicator
« on: January 02, 2011, 09:03:31 AM »
Hi, I woder if anyone can help me set Mach 3 screen to show my actual spindle speed. I have set the spindle up using the config boxes and have estimated the speed, It seems about right as I haven't burnt out any cutters yet. When I converted the Denford Triac there was a Hall proximity sensor that detected the spindle position for the tool changer. I have got rid of the toolchanger so this sensor is redundant. I have checked this sensor and when I rotate the spindle pass the sensor I get a 5v on and off signal. Can I use this to tell mach 3 the actual spindle revs only I havent got a clue what to connect to what. I have spare input/outputs on my breakout board but not sure how the signal is then interpreted by Mach 3.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Using the Mach3 screens spindle speed indicator
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 09:14:38 AM »
Just connect that 5v to a free input on your BOB and then go to Config menu then Ports and Pins then Inputs and under the Index  entry put the port and pin number you are connected to. Go To General Config and set the Index Debounce to zero if its not already.
Thats you done :)
Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:22:29 AM »
Cheers Hood, again you have come up with the answer, Thanks mate will try later today. Jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 09:28:29 AM »
How are you powering the sensor?
You may need to tie the 0V side of it to your BOBs 0v if you are not powering from it.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 09:51:02 AM »
Ok I will make sure the 0v goes via the BOB. I did notice a %v and 0V port. I have a couple of machine parts to finish off then I will try it. Think I'm Ok with that side of it, it was how the signal got to the screen display, only it dont seem to tell you in the manual any thing about how to do it via index. Cheers Hood. Jim 
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 11:58:19 AM »
Hi Hood does this make sense. Connect the Hall sensor powered through the 5v on breakout board then second wire to pin input 16. then set config pins and ports to pin 16 port 1. The debounce is set to 0. Hope I've attched the BOB drawing unless this will not make sense. :-\

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 12:04:25 PM »
According to the drawing you have pin 17 but whatever you use you set that for the Index in Ports and Pins and you should be fine.

Hood
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 12:16:55 PM »
Hi Hood this is where i'm confused. I'm using pin 17 for the voltage variations to instruct the spindle drive speed, so pin 16 is spare so though if I connected it to the sensor then assigned index port and pins that would do it?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 12:54:19 PM »
Oh sorry misunderstood and also I have forgotten about the parallel port in which are inputs and which are outputs as it has been so long since I have used it. Pin 16 is actually an output so you cant use it, you need to use 10 to 13 or 15, so if you already use them then the only option is to get a second PP and use that. There may be other options depending on the way your limit switches are wired, if they are normally closed switches then you could wire them all in series and only have to use one input, that would possibly free up some inputs for you.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
OK Hood will have a think. Cheers mate.