Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:46:14 AM

Author Topic: Servo Encoder Feedback  (Read 3896 times)

Servo Encoder Feedback
« on: December 31, 2010, 11:43:46 AM »
Does Mach support servo encoder feedback?  A few minutes of playing and looking doesn't show it to me obviously if it does. 

I am just beginning a Hurco KMB1 retrofit to PC control.  Probably going to take the empty box approach.  Removed a couple plastic crumbling encoders and a damaged motor yesterday.  Will probably test the VFD and DC PS today if I can borrow a scope from one of my buddies.  Have no clue what happened to mine when I moved my office. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR. 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Servo Encoder Feedback
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 01:06:11 PM »
Mo, Mach is open loop so if using servos the loop will get closed either in the drives, if they are capable of it, or in the motion controller you use if they are not.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
Ok thanks.  I was hoping it did now that I have a fair grasp of how Mach works.  I guess I'll look at EMC again for this one.  I want real feedback to my software for DRO like operation. 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 01:47:22 PM »
You can feed encoders back to Mach for DRO readouts if that is what you are wanting but it will not close the loop.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 02:06:50 PM »
I kinda figured that.  I suppose I should have been more complete in my comment.  I want accurate position control using the encoders, and feedback to provide machine position at anytime. 
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 11:46:38 AM »
Hi, happy new year to everybody.  Is it the same reasoning for stepper motors? I'm assuming that the answer is yes but I just want to make sure.   I have 4 outputs for each of my axis on the stepper motor and I was wondering if they were of any use for Mach3 software exept for DRO.  Thanks

Offline ASC

•  59 59
    • View Profile
    • Automation Systems
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 03:06:33 PM »
Same rule applies.  Mach uses the encoders strictly as a DRO display, they will not correct positioning like a closed loop driver would.
Mr. Creosote