Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:56:34 AM

Author Topic: Spindle Basic Setup  (Read 7390 times)

Offline Shivu

•  18 18
    • View Profile
Spindle Basic Setup
« on: December 31, 2010, 11:26:16 AM »
Hi all,

I am facing trouble in displaying the speed of the Spindle in MACH3,

I have connected a  encoder for the Spindle, and Assigned the Z axis for the Axis S in Galil Configuration and checked the Spindle has encoder Check box still the DRO is not displaying the actual speed of the spindle.

What could be the Problem?
Re: Spindle Basic Setup
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 11:57:26 AM »
is the displayed index speed changing at all

Offline Shivu

•  18 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 08:36:04 PM »
It displays the speed but its not showing feed back speed its showing the command speed.

I need to display the feed back speed,  the galil is reading the encoder feedback.

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 03:25:35 AM »
There is no problem.  Typically, Mach commands the spindle to a certain value.  If you set the spindle speed to 1000 RPM, then Mach expects the spindle speed to be 1000 RPM.  There is no PID loop from Mach controlling the spindle for external motion plugins, so there is no need for RPM feedback.

Feedback from the galil is in counts because, after all, it reads an encoder.  You could possibly write a brain to sample the counts of the spindle encoder and do the required math to calculate RPM based on your encoder counts per revolution.  But that is a subject waaaaaay beyond the scope of this Galil forum.

Why do you need spindle speed feedback?  If you just want to check that the spindle is doing the commanded speed, then put a tachometer on it temporarily.

Steve

Offline Shivu

•  18 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 07:16:33 AM »
Hi steve,

I am new to use MACH3, i know how to write brian for the Digital Input outputs but i am not aware how to write it to display the speed of the Speed of the spindle.

Can you explain me.

Shivu

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 12:48:26 PM »
Like I said, that subject is waaaay beyond the scope of this Galil support forum.  You might try posting in the General forum and get some help.  There are also video tutorials on Brains.  But bear in mind, you are wanting to do what almost no one has wanted to do in the past.  So there is not going to be a drop in solution.  It may not even be possible.

I will try and put something in the plugin that will make it easier.  But I'm really having trouble figuring out how I would get that information back to Mach.  I might just have to place that information into a user DRO or something.  But that will not be in the plugin until I get finished with the new API (no idea when at the moment).  So it you want the RPM feedback sooner, then you will need to investigate other options.

Steve

Offline Shivu

•  18 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 08:03:27 AM »
Hi Steave,

As you suggested i am using a proximity as index feedback for the Spindle.

I have connected it to the input #7 of the galil, and in the ports and pins configured the Index input to Port 1 and Pin 31. I am able to see the input toggle in the diagnostics as the sensor toggled.

Still there is no change in the Spindle speed display still it is showing the commanded speed only.

I am trying to do the treading in this lath, i am getting "Galil error 1: Unrecognized command" whenever the threading instruction is given(M32).

Where am i doing wrong.

Shivu.

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 08:45:55 AM »
Shivu,
Single point threading is NOT implemented on Mach3 lathe yet in the Galil plugin. I have been working on it for some time, but it's still not ready. I will post when it is working.
Thanks,
Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.

Offline Shivu

•  18 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 03:43:46 AM »
Hi Kenny,

We are caught in an awkward position by the fact that Single point threading is not implemented in the Galil plugin of the Mach 3. We are in the process of commissioning a Galil+Mach3 for a lathe machine for a customer in India. Threading is an important capability of this machine. If threading cannot be demonstrated to the customer, we may have to call the project off. Can you help us by implementing single point threading asap? Its our mistake that we assumed that threading would be possible on the full release version of the Galil plugin for Mach3. We ought to have checked on the forum before committing to the customer

Shivu.

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 09:19:50 AM »
Shivu,
I have been working on this for a long time. It is just not ready now, nor will it be very soon. I need it myself, so I wish that it was working. You will need to come up with another solution for now.
Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.