Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 02:00:04 PM

Author Topic: Bulletproof ethernet settings  (Read 2806 times)

Bulletproof ethernet settings
« on: December 29, 2010, 12:01:03 PM »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has seen a guide to configuring the network card, and Ethernet parameters for talking to a Galil card.  I have read the plugin documentation, but I believe I am lacking some fundamental understanding.

I would like to use a static IP address, but I do not know what to put in the subnet mask, default gateway, or DNS server settings.  Any help will be appreciated.  My galil card does not seem to want to stay connected when I try to use the scope and tuner.

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Bulletproof ethernet settings
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
You will want to connect the PC to the Galil via it's own network.  Meaning, that you really don't want a whole lot of other computers on the same network.  If you already have an Ethernet card in the PC and it's connected to say the internet or an internal network, you really need to install another Ethernet card to talk only to the Galil.  This way, other network traffic will never interfere with the communication to the Galil.

Choose an intranet number range such as 192.168.2.0  This is a class C network (netmask of 255.255.255.0) that can contain 254 hosts.  You will only need 2 host addresses.  One for the PC

For the PC, set the IP address to 192.168.2.1, netmask 255.255.255.0, no default gateway, no DNS server.  The default gateway is not needed as you will not be routing packets to any other network.  DNS is not needed as you can address the Galil using it's IP address, no names required.

For the Galil, set the IP address to 192.168.2.2 and nothing else is required for it.

Steve
Re: Bulletproof ethernet settings
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 08:39:51 PM »
Steve,

Thank you for that.  I finally learned what a subnet mask was.  My main problem was my crossover cable.  I installed wall jacks in the shop, and tried to use that to accomplish the crossover.  Well, I had some extra wires crossed.  I think it is a miracle that it let me talk to the card at all!

So, my ethernet settings are very solid now, and the Galil no longer loses communication.

Thanks for the help!

Rob