Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 04:32:18 PM

Author Topic: setting up encoders with smooth stepper. Basic help needed  (Read 10414 times)

setting up encoders with smooth stepper. Basic help needed
« on: December 28, 2010, 12:57:37 PM »
Hi all

I have some basic questions about using encoders with SS

I have two encoders with a,b,i , 5v,& ground wires. Single ended I believe

I believe I connect to port 3 pins 1,2 3 and 5v, ground

set up Mach input encoders to port 3  a pin 1,  b pin 2

How do i see any result of the encoder IE a position box

How do I tell mach the resolution of the encoders

can I set a pause if the encoder count and Mach's position differ by X

Thanks for any help

John
Mad rush on a treadmill gets nowere

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: setting up encoders with smooth stepper. Basic help needed
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 02:39:28 PM »
You can input them on port 3 as you thought, in fact you could likely use port 1 or 2 as well.
Port 3 has 6 inputs, three of which have differential capability but you can still use them single ended.

To set up in Mach its just Config menu then Ports and Pins then Encoder/MPGs. You then just set the port and pin numbers and can also set the counts per unit and Velocity although I am not sure if Velocity is actually needed for encoders.

You will see the readouts on I think the Settings page and if wanting to fault if there is a discrepancy you would need to write a Brain or Macropump. How effective it would be I dont know as it will all depend on the error size you set, how fast the axis is moving etc . The Brain/Macropump just run at 10Hz if I recall 

Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 08:15:52 PM »
Thanks for the reply

It is a real shame that ther is not a more detailed manual for SS after it has been a strong part of Mach for quite some time now.

I am reluctant and financially embarased to have to purchase the add on board to achive what ought to be an easily implimented part of SS

I know Mach is not and doesnt pretend to be closed loop but by now this kind of routine ought to be easily implimented by the likes of SS, after all it acsepts encoder input so it ought to be easily implimented.  Perhaps I am expecting too much.

John

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 08:27:10 PM »
The SS was meant as a parallel port replacement really so it does most of what Mach does except with a higher pulserate so really it shouldnt be expected that it does more.

The space on the SS is limited so Greg has had to do a lot of juggling to fit everything on. I have seen Greg mention that  future  versions of the SS will have more room and may well do more advanced stuff, then again they will likely be more expensive.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 09:11:57 PM »
Such is life

I wanted a rolls royce for £50 and ended up with a rolls can'ardly!