Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:15:30 PM

Author Topic: CNC Large Lathe Conversion pictures  (Read 17810 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: CNC Large Lathe Conversion pictures
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 03:51:41 AM »
Frank,

Looking at the cross slide and position of the tool post was the lathe originally operated from the back, so to speak ?

Tweakie.

btw. Just found Sam's Christmas present - thanks Sam.
PEACE

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 05:06:24 AM »
Nice little lathe ;) Amazing how well it's preserved. It's 70 years old and looks better than some 10 years old machines I've seen.

0.75" diameter ball screws..? Sounds to small for a lathe that will cut 15mm per pass. Would expect twice that. At least for the Z.

Dan
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 08:30:33 AM »
What a BEAST !!!  Cool old IRON, I love it.

JH

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 09:22:33 AM »
That's way to fancy a bottle, Tweakie. We gotta get a 'lil bit of dirt and grime on us when we apply it. Scott, I live close to Athens. I missed you guys at the Athens diner get-together a few years back. We've actually had this discussion when we spoke about Unitrac a couple years back. I'm thinking you done some machine work for their railroad equipment, if memory serves. Retrofit maybe?

"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 09:04:52 PM »
Sam WD is good fufu, but it make a better mouth wash  ;D

Tweaky -- You know, I 've been around this machine for over 15 years and I never thought about that!  But you are right, the tool post is on the "wrong" side DOH...wait, maybe its from the U.K.!   :o

Dan -- The original ACME screw on the X was also .75" and according to spec its within spec as its pulling from the axis inwards.  Remember that the heavy feed is actually being performed by the Z as the tool cuts heavy across the profile at the prescribed depth... shooting your tool into (as opposed to across) the profile 15mm at a time would make for a bad day to say the least.  Take a look at the Z screw again its at 2.5" diam its actually 3.33 times larger than the X  ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 09:07:09 PM by zonian1903 »

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 02:17:25 AM »
Ah... OK. That makes sense. I was bothered with the Z axis as I said. Being 2.5" diameter, I see no problem ;) Somehow I missed you saying the Z was 2.5" and it was only the X with the 0.75".

Dan
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:19:06 AM by Dan13 »

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 08:19:03 AM »
Hey Sam,

Oh, ok, I am sorry, my memory and me, is old..... Yes, I did the Screen set, and Brians for the Uni-track machine, but I did it for Derrik "Hillbillie" Ashburn. He did ALL the rest of that machine, and really only needed me, just cause he was under a time constaint and I could crank out a screen set/brain faster. He did a Superb job, on that machine. It had Two Z axis Heads and Two Y axis (one for each head), I had to make some custom controls so that you could slave and unslave Y's/Z's, plus it had a W axis as well. In total it had all 6 axis being used. If memory served since it was a MASSIVE planner mill, he had to use a 30 hp. Baldor motor for the X axis. The machine cut Switch Track rails for the railroad, so the overall tolorance wasnt that critical in the X, I think it was within the envolope of the normal gearing "slop" of the machine.

At any rate, I was wondering, since you live so close to me, if I could come and see that lathe!! Could you give me a call on the phone if it is a do-able thing?
865 four two six 9728.

I would LOVE to find some old iron like that, that is even close to that good of shape!!

scott
fun times

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 01:11:02 PM »
 :) This is not my post about the lathe. Its Franks lathe (zonian1903). His location is not set in his profile, but I doubt he's close to us. Bummer. I'd like to see it turning some parts.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 04:23:47 PM »
I'm working over-seas in Panama, however I'd be more than happy to have y'all over for a beer or two or three if you're ever in this neck of the woods.  Today, we've been putting the finishes on the machine: covers, closets, pans etc.  I think that by Tuesday I should be ready to turn some wheels after I do some test runs.  I'll be certain to post more pictures and some videos once I do.  Question:  Can I embed a youtube video on the forum?  If so, how?

Frank
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 10:55:11 AM »
Hello everyone!
Last night I did the first tests of the lathe using lazyturn and machturn. I gotto tell ya lazycam is much more functional than I expected.  The video was done at night, so its a little dark and grainy (sorry about that) but I couldn't wait till today to test it. ;D  In the video, a 50mm radius bar stock has already been brought down to 47mm in one pass and the video starts at the next pass which is 3mm deep with a 15mm feed rate at 164 spindle rpm.  The tool is a 1" high speed steel blank I had laying around (I didn't want to test on $100.00 inserts  ;D).  I did a quick and dirty groover grind on it and slapped it on with a little angle to hide the face and cut with the leading corner as if it were the tip on a bit.  There was a little chatter, but I attribute it mostly to the small tool (we usually use 2x2 and 3x3 tooling)  and that my grinding was piss poor.  I haven't installed the coolant system yet so I just cooled down the work with a little 140w when the chips looked like they were coming out too hot. Even though the tooling wasn't even close to being the right one for that type of cut and had no coolant, I did 2 more passes and pulled it to see and it was still pretty sharp.  I was guessing it would last one or two passes at most.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/D3JaiqHLLeE?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/D3JaiqHLLeE?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>