Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:19:01 AM

Author Topic: mastercam x4 mach post processor  (Read 23553 times)

mastercam x4 mach post processor
« on: December 27, 2010, 07:36:18 PM »
Hi guys does anyone know if there is a post flying about that will work with mastercam x4 currently mpfan.pst or the fanuc posts works fine for 3 axis work but for 4th axis things start to get messed up, firstly the only post that seems to output is mpfan.pst ( for 4 axis work ) and works fine till it gets to the rotational moves after that point its all over the place, I did try the mastercam post available on the downloads page but cant seem to get it to update ( not quite sure how to run the updatepost.dll  , failing a post being available if there is anyone out there that can create a custom one please send me a message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 07:38:21 PM by numbnutts »

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: mastercam x4 mach post processor
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 08:03:45 PM »
In Mastercam file menu, choose "settings" then "run user applications" then select the "updatepost.dll"
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 06:41:37 AM »
Seems to have done the trick sam

Thank you very much :)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 10:14:44 AM »
The updated post works well but wont seem to call out tool offsets any idea on how to fix this ?
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 08:02:17 PM »

Hi Guys,

After finding no way to get the tool offsets callout on the mach 3 post, I have been messing around with the generic fanuc one  and think I have a working solution and just wanted to check with anyone here if you think what I have done will cause major issues later on ( so far I have cut a couple of parts with no problems )

The problems I initially faced with the fanuc post were

1, after a tool change it was outputting G0 G90 G54  and Taking me from the current location way off the edge of the table by the x and y amount ( i think it was taking the current pos as G54 not the true G54 ) Im not sure why but i think it had something to do with G90 ( maybe this should be G91) ? so what I did was comment out the reference in the post processor to G90 ( there was only 1 ) I have left G91 intact in the post but on subsequent G code files i have created it no longer outputs G91 for some reason, but this does not seem to have affected the parts i have created since doing this

2, the other problem I was having ( after I removed the G90 from the post ) was before a tool change it was output G28 Z0 which was taking down to home zero instead of up to machine Z0 giving me the max space for a tool change  , the fix I have done for this is as follows , I looked in the post processor for any reference to G28 and replaced it with G53, this now seems to post out G53 instead of G28 taking me up to machine Z0 as desired ,

one thing i should mention is that when I post out a G-code file I have an error message that I am able to read, basically it has a list of checks and changes that it does then at the end it says  successful completion of post processing ?

Anyway as Im a complete novice messing around with post processors  do you guys think by not having and G90 and G91 moves in my code and swapping round G28 with G53 is gonna come back and bite me in the ass?

Worst case is I go back to the mach 3 post on this site and manually type in the tool length offset callouts and and the G53 Z0 move before tool change

Any advice would be great,

Cheers

Offline nava

•  45 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 08:07:57 AM »
Has anyone really been using the converted mach3 standard post using UpdatePost.dll in Mastercam X4 with 4axis?  I know there was some problem with the tool offsets but seeing as my mill only has a manual tool change I'm guessing I'm not going to need to worry about it.  Any feedback on your experience would be very helpful to my right now. 
cheers

Offline nava

•  45 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 05:56:34 AM »
not to have a proper post for mastercam x4 seems like a bummer to me:(

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 04:36:44 PM »
Post are usually custom from machine to machine, and shop to shop. The identical machine in one shop may need a different post than in another shop. There is no one size fits all. Your Mastercam reseller should be able to get you a custom post tailored to your machine if the ones here don't fit your needs, or you could dive into learning how to edit posts and then share 'em with the rest of the community. Best of luck!
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."