Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:54:47 PM

Author Topic: Making a tapered thread. Please help  (Read 8829 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Making a tapered thread. Please help
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 02:57:29 PM »
How to change the m1076 Machro can be found in the Threading on the Lathe write up , Section 7.2 / page 47.
How to set the Mach Lathe for different cut type and infeed-    "                 "       "       , section 7.1 / page 44. ( not documented anywhere else i may add)

How to measure a taper: Use an indicator accurately located on the lathe center line, move along Z and note the change in X required to maintain same indicator reading,
ANGLE= Arc Tangent of X axis move divided by Z axis move  ........you can use the DRO values....just one way.

How to cut a tapered thread? Haven't had a chance to write something up.............!
The problem is the wizards for both cutting just a taper and taper threading post code pathing that starts away from the end of the piece and cross the X & Z axis.
You must have that since the axis must accelerate to the feedrate requested. So you need to to be able to know how to set all up or combine the codes from the wizards. Now somewhere, i have a modified wizard from a friend which will cut a taper from where you define the small diameter and where it finishs without doing that ( if i can find it and test it as that would simplify things some), but, you still need to adjust the threading inputs accordingly. Now i will add that  it depends on how one defines a tapered thread; add threads along the taper, cut a NPT ( and there as are different definitions / accuracy / formulas for an NPT thread...may as well add the Britt part to it! ).
One also needs to ask what the tapered thread will be used for.

So in time and until then if your playing around be carefull, and yes a prayer can help...... ;D

RICH
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 03:03:01 PM by RICH »

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 03:10:10 PM »
The taper angle in your case will be:

tan-1(((0.750-0.310))/2)/1.850)

BTW, cut a taper thread only once, couple years ago, and it worked fine with the simple treading wizard.

Dan

EDIT: Ha.. ha. You're quick Rich. You posted the answer while I was typing ;)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 03:12:21 PM by Dan13 »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 02:51:43 PM »
Happy New Year,
Have a read of the attached........

Maybe Brian or Art can shed some light on the wizards wand.  ;)

RICH
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 10:12:22 AM »
Can you rotate your spindle? cut the taper then the thread....

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 11:28:49 AM »
TramAlot,
Normal practice would be to cut the taper first and then do the threading to the taper.
Two different programs with different pathing.
Not sure what you mean. ???

It is possible to do some "unconvention" machining.
RICH

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 11:17:33 AM »
my machines are Sherlines, the lathe spindle rotates.

I am unconventional