Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:02:54 AM

Author Topic: Y axis move when just X axis is homed  (Read 13065 times)

Y axis move when just X axis is homed
« on: December 22, 2010, 08:17:40 AM »
I got my new software all installed along with a new controller and some other items.

Every seems ok but I have observed something odd.
I was testing my home switches and discovered that when the x axis is homed it moves pretty
much as expected however what is odd is that the y-axis also moves a small amount.  At first I
thought I was seeing things then suspected I had a mechanical connection messed up but
no the machine coordinates DRO confirms the y is moving (I have no feed back system)
and I can feel it move as well.

Homing the z and y do not affect any of the other axes as far as I can see.

Could I have something mis-configured?  it seems if the DRO  moves then Mach must be aware it
is happening and doing it on purpose so probably not a hardware issue.  (jogging moves the axes
independently as expected.)

Any Thoughts?

Thanks
Darren

P.S.  I believe I am using the latest released version….R3.042.040
Re: Y axis move when just X axis is homed
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 08:35:37 AM »
Hi Darren,
  Just to verify ... are you homing the axis individually from the Diagnostics page and seeing the other axis move ?
Or are you using the RefAllHome from the RUN page which will move the other axis a slight amount if it is already at or near its switch.
Thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:48:38 AM »
I have a "Shuttle Pro" hand controller that has buttons set up to home each axis individually.  However if I ref all to home I think I see the same thing happening.
I will check and see if it occurs from the diagnostic page. 

Question why would "RefAllHome from the RUN page which will move the other axis a slight amount if it is already at or near its switch." do this?
I suspect this is related.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 09:02:16 AM »
I confirm that from the diag page the same thing happens.  I also see that from here the refZ also moves the Y axis though only about 1/2 as much.  And both X and Z ref only appear to move Y when Y is close to it's home position.  If I move it off home it doesn't move.  I am now thinking this is some sort of 'feature' but I don't understand it.  Strangely if I do ref-Y then a ref-Z the Y will move about .025.  If I do ref-y then ref-X it will move about .05.  but if I do ref-Z first the Y will move the .025 and a subsequent ref-X will not move the Y axis at all so Y ends up in different places depending on the order I home the other axes.

If I have the Homing config set to zero the DRO on home everything seems to work and I end up at 0,0,0 according to the DROs anyway.  I was trying to get a feeling of how repeatable the Home / Ref position was by doing a ref all with the zeroing active then jogging around and then doing individual axis homes with the zeroing inactive to see if I ended up back at 0 for each when I first saw this come up.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 09:09:33 AM by macdarren »
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 09:19:52 AM »
What I meant was, REF ALL HOME will reference all axis in sequence from where ever they are but if the axis was very near or at its switch, the movement would be slight. Thought that might have been what you were seeing.

If it happens from the Diag. screen, I would suspect it has something to do with the Shuttle Pro installation or plug-in.
Might try to disable the plugin to verify that it works properly just with the Mach screens. ?
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 11:24:49 AM »
I tried removing the Shuttle pro stuff but I get the same results.

I did learn that it seems to happen only if I have the y axis "Auto Zero" the homing/limits config page not checked.  If this box is checked the axes seem to all move and will ref independently and one does not affect the other, and of course after they hit the switch they back off and zero.  if the box is unchecked then this weird movement of the Y happens when ref-ing the X or Z, but only when it is near the switch.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 11:32:58 AM »
Can you attach your xml and I will see if I can find a problem with your config.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 11:36:31 AM »
Strange, never saw that before. Might need a complete description of your controller/components.
Could be some custom stuff running in there.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 01:18:07 PM »
I think I have attached my XML correctly...(never tried posting an attachment before)

My basic setup is a Taig Mill converted to CNC.  I use a smoothstepper for motion control and a Gecko 540 for the driver.
I have Limit Switches which serve for homing too.  There is one at the top of Z, two for the Y one at either extreme
and a single switch in the center of the X with triggering ramps at either end of the table.   Pretty standard stuff.

When I get home I have an XML file that was sent to me by someone with the same hardware I will try that to see if
it does the same thing.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 01:40:35 PM »
You have a massive value in  each of the filtering entries in the SS config, I think that is your problem. Try setting to 10 or less and see if that helps.
Hood