Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 10:00:57 PM

Author Topic: Z Axis Plunging under power after about 1 hour of running Mach 3 Mill  (Read 3398 times)

I must have missed something in my set up of mach 3, The tool for checking signal noise is saying my signal is OK, I went thru the windows settings and turned all the power saving settings to never. the code runs fine for about 1 hour, and then it plunges, it's done it every time at the 0-0 point on the whichever offset is current. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you,
Chris May

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Z Axis Plunging under power after about 1 hour of running Mach 3 Mill
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 02:37:03 PM »
Could it be your safe Z setting?

If you attach your xml and some code that it happens with I will see if I can simulate it here and hopefully find the problem.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 07:27:05 PM »
Thank you, I'll transfer that from the machine in the workshop tomorrow A.M.
Chris
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 10:11:47 AM »
This is the 3rd. attempt
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 12:46:52 PM »
Chris i have looked at one of your files, and i don't like to see the way it is laid out with no spaces between commands

N100G00G20G17G90G40G49G80 one line of code as you/PP supplied it

N100 G00 G20 G17 G90 G40 G49 G80 how it should look

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 02:27:11 PM »
It could well be your safe Z setting as I mentioned earlier, looking at your xml you have it set to 2 in machine coords. Your Z travel according to your homing and limits page is 3.63 so in other words your safe Z position is is only 1.63 away from your max Z travel. If you are at a point above that and a safe Z is called then your axis will plunge down to 2 in machine coords.

One other thing to note is you really have the Z axis set wrong in Homing and limits unless of course it is not a convetional machine. Normally the Z Max would be set as zero and the Z Min set as the axis travle but a negative number.

So what I think you should really have is
Z Max Zero
Z Min -3.63
Safe Z could then be something like -0.1

If your machine is not a conventional setup then let me know how it works.

With regards to what Phil has said about the code, it is definitely easier on the eye having the spaces but I dont think Mach cares either way, I could be wrong though ;)
Hood