Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:45:41 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 OS?  (Read 4343 times)

Mach 3 OS?
« on: November 08, 2006, 07:50:19 PM »
Hi Group.
Today my control PC rebooted itself while cutting a 5 hour long program, piece was not scraped, but it broke my cutter. When I got back to the mill, there was a dialog box that staid, Windows has recovered from a serious error >:( No big deal.
But it kinda got me thinking, How hard would if be to have a Mach 3 Operating System, A stand alone installation of only Mach 3 running by itself, no Windows, no Linux, just plain old reliable Mach 3.

Regards
Fernando

ynneb

Re: Mach 3 OS?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 09:09:48 PM »
It would be a big task. I have often thought of DOS Mach. Loading drivers for all the different computers would be hard and problematic too.
I know that in the arcade gaming emulation world they have their own OS called ArcadeOS. I think it is a stripped down version of Linux. Another problem would be how to browse to files on the computer. You would have to create the Gcode in windows and then reboot into Machos.
Good idea, but I don't foresee this happening any time soon.

Best wishes to any one who takes on this task.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 09:31:28 PM »
Kind of thought it would be a big, no, BIG hassle.
Would be great though.
Ive been living with windows for many many years, I can continue living with it.
Thanks
Fernando

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 12:57:18 AM »
Yea it would be a huge task! Writing a os is a colossal undertaking, look at m$ they have been at a LONG time and still can't get it right!

There is an embedded version of xp. I haven't played with it. It is basically at the core just minus all the bloat.

I think that would be the closest to a purpose built os. There is EMC and that runs under Linux..

Chad