Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 10:04:21 AM

Author Topic: PoKeys or Modbus - Need a little more IO  (Read 4868 times)

Offline Mattw

•  41 41
    • View Profile
PoKeys or Modbus - Need a little more IO
« on: December 07, 2010, 09:00:37 PM »
I need a little more IO for my pending CNC expansion (getting axiis 4 and 5 going).  Limit switches, pumps and stuff... no encoders or anything demanding like that. 

Are there any real pros and cons between Pokeys or ModIO?  Does (can?) the PoKeys "miss" commands and leave an output on?  I've heard this is possible with keyboard emmulators.

Offline borisz

•  220 220
    • View Profile
    • www.poscope.com
Re: PoKeys or Modbus - Need a little more IO
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 01:41:02 AM »
Hi!

PoKeys is not only keyboard emulator. Normally you are using PoKeys as an HID IO device which is very reliable.
There are no reports about issues which you "heard".
If PoKeys does not have enough IOs, you can add aditional outputs with PoExtbus devices.

regards

Boris
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 08:09:49 AM »
Matt,

If it is just a couple of I/Os, a second parallel port will do.  If your application is more related to HID and special functions, pokeys is the answer.  It is much more than just a keyboard emulator, handles all kind of functions and it is very reliable with mach3.  Modbus might be if you need very high speed encoder reading, or need to device to be kept running even after the PC is dead.

Arturo Duncan
http://cnc4pc.com

Offline Mattw

•  41 41
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 10:32:17 AM »
Oh, I already have both parallel ports pretty well full.  Are limit switches through PoKeys an ok plan, or should I keep it just to operator Pushbuttons and the like.  When you say it's good for HID and special funcitons, I don't know exactly what that means. (I do know what HID stands for, though :D)

What if I wanted to run a tool changer through PoKeys somewhere down the line?  Would everyone feel pretty good about that?

Offline borisz

•  220 220
    • View Profile
    • www.poscope.com
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 10:48:53 AM »
Limit switches are not very good idea on PoKeys. User interface and tol changer are OK.

regards

Boris
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 05:54:39 PM »
Can you move any of your non real-time IO thats on your 2 ports now over to Pokeys?  Then put you real-time IO, (like limit, probe trig, and home sensors), back onto your newly freed up Port IO ?

Just a thought?

JH

Offline Mattw

•  41 41
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 06:17:41 AM »
That's a pretty good idea.  I'll have to go through my IO again and see if I can pull that off.

Thanks for the input guys.

Offline Mattw

•  41 41
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 10:17:12 PM »
OK, fellers, my PoKeys hardware is on the way!  I'll be spending the holidays tearing my panel apart and running wire.  Sorry, but you guys can probably look forward to a few dumb questions from this noob.