Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:21:40 PM

Author Topic: Inscribed circle, what am I missing?  (Read 35741 times)

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
Re: Inscribed circle, what am I missing?
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2010, 09:41:36 AM »
I highly suspect youll see a run on Lturn.. :)

Art

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2010, 09:41:58 AM »
unless of course its too expensive for them.. :)
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2011, 06:10:17 PM »
I read it there and here I am.  Thanks Rich and ART; and the price is just right.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2011, 06:28:17 PM »
Glad you could afford the trip and hope you'll enjoy the ride. ;)
RICH

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2011, 09:12:01 AM »
I'm here too, but my copy is still in the plastic. ;)
Been too busy trying to get my lathe going the right way to open it up yet.
I have tried a few different things. Dolphin Turn was the biggest. It has some error issues that won't go away, but work aroundable maybe. It will work better at some point once I get my head around how the lathe and tools should actually run and associate with each other.

IMO, it's quite a bit more difficult than Mach3 Mill. With turn and it's documentation though, I am standing on top of the hurdle now. Which way I fall is anyone's guess, but I hope forward. :)
Thanks, Guys. Turn is very cool.
Lee

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 09:40:39 AM »
Lee,
LazyTurn is not meant to compete with Dolphin Turn as Dolphin provides more functionality and you pay a lot for it.
Suggest you start a new post for any Dolphin issues  since there are users of it and they may be able to help you out.

LT is easier to use than Dolphin for what it does for my nickle!
Frankly it can replace manny of the turn wizards associated with a outside profile.

Would be nice if there was enough users to warrent a pro version of LT at some cost, adding additional functionality, but that's one for Art to determine.

Have fun with it and do look thru the documentation,
RICH 

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 09:59:37 AM »
Thanks, Rich.
I have had my lathe running for a couple years now. I just have simple production parts turned out of brass. I have just been using Mach3 mill and I hand programmed everything like that. Kinda like using Teach, but just by hand.
The biggest problem with doing it this way is it gave me no useful lathe experience. Sure I could turn it on and turn any of my parts, but could not produce a drawing and expect the lathe to do it.

This is also a hurdle I was facing with Dolphin. Not knowing any of the basics makes for a lot of crashes and that is something you really don't want on a lathe. ;)

Anyway, reading LT documentation has given me the basics I need to be able to just set up the lathe as a lathe. I can see the other side now. I was initially just interested in doing some profiling, like chess pieces. I did turn one using LT now so I am on the right track. I have set up my tools now in a repeatable fashion and will be setting up the tool tables to actually run the lathe as Mach 3 Turn wants.
It should then be a bit easier task to use either LT or Dolphin.

The Dolphin thing I have asked about before and never got a workable answer. hat was at the Zone on the Dolphin forum. If you try importing a DXF into turn without using Dplhin Cad, the error says you have never opened or used Dcad. That isn't the case and Dcad apparently must export to DT. I can do that though, so a work around.
T I will look into that soon too.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:02:20 AM by Leeway »
Lee
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 02:23:02 PM »
Well I got a chance to take a better look at LT.  What I am really after is CAM for some simple internal turning.  Looks like LT hasn't got there yet, so the search goes on.  Rich, I would be willing to pay some for this enhanced ability.  Just can't really justify the expense of some of the exsisting programs that do support internal turning. Thanks again.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 02:30:40 PM »
What I am really after is CAM for some simple internal turning
Have a look at the wizards.

RICH
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 07:58:35 PM »
What wizards are you referring to?  Where are they located?