Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:10:18 PM

Author Topic: 3 PAGE LATHE SCREEN - WIZARD ADDITIONS  (Read 44384 times)

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 3 PAGE LATHE SCREEN - WIZARD ADDITIONS
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2011, 12:20:43 PM »
Hey Rich (and who ever it was that did the 3 page lathe screen).

I did a screen set called "Practicle Lathe"  http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,3653.10.html reply #14,
probably for the same reasons that the 3 page lathe guy did his. I think both screen sets have thier advantages and disadvantages.

If there is interest in "Merging" the two types of screen sets, taking the best of both, then I would be willing to help him, or he help me, or what ever to come out with a New hybrid lathe screen set.
    (further, I would also be willing to do that screen set in an optional "Flash" version for lower CPU consumption/loading.).
Lathe is a VERY neglected end of mach3, I use a Lathe, but at the hobbiest level of skill. Having said that, for you guys who are lathe user GURU's, if you would tell me, WHAT and HOW you want the Wizards to do, I would be glad to make them, OR, help who ever make them in a joint effort that would help the community (of lathe users), at large.......

Scott
fun times

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2011, 06:55:08 PM »
Scott,
A nice hybrid screen would be nice. I personaly can certainly go for that and yes they all can be merged for the best of the best.
How to go about recounciling users preferences to achieve that is another story. A way to do that would have a bunch of folks just sit down and plan it out.
Hood had a post on what a new generation lathe screen should look like / include, asked for suggestions, and there were a number of replies.

I can do a some leg work and have a  a look at "all" the screens that have been done and compare as there are not that many.
I could put that into a file here for review to start things off if you wish.

I lost track of the other post on wizards . That's a different subject but  should be planned for.

Your or anybody elses thoughts on the matter please reply?
RICH

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2011, 11:47:24 PM »
For sure,

Lets consider not just a Hybrid Lathe screen, but an "Update" or extension to the current lathe wizards.

The heavy hitters (or at least prolific posters on lathe issues), seem to be:
Rich
Phil
Graham
Hood
(I am sure others but cant think of them off top of head).

I would be more than glad to contribut to the screen build, Wizard(s) build, what ever, and would be glad to incorportate:
a "Hybrid" Threading Wizard, in where, this ONE wizard would have a initial page in where the user could pick, simple or complex threading.
it would then jump him to that page, then the user could make choices from those pages. We could put together "ALL THE BEST" parts of the various
simple and complex threading stuff into the threading Wizard, that might include "Accurate" threading charts as HTML info screens, etc.....

Further, there are several guys like Graham who are walking "Yoda's" of G Code, that could probably submit VB code to do "Smart" Wizards for various operations.
So, if you or others have "Formula's" and/or fancy G code stuff that they would like to happen behind the seens, then submit it.

NOTE:

It would be good if one of the "Admins" could make a temporary thread called "The Lathe Project" with Special account priveleges.... in such anyone could edit a single post, i.e. I put a list of stuff and ideas up, then the next guy could EDIT my post to add more to it.......  that way, you would have ONE single post that all who are interested could talk about this, and when all is said and done, then, lets make the screen and wizards........

Purhaps have another sub-thread for "The Screen" where we could put up a lathe screen, then some one else could take it down, and modify it, and repost it back up, in the SAME post, it would be like a community project file........  Same for the "Lathe Wizard Suite".

If this is NOT do-able due to the constraints of this, site, them if someone has some vacant website space or what ever, that we could put that "Link" in a post, then you could goto that site, pull down the current screen, wizards what ever...... work on them (anyone could who wanted to) Some kind of CVS system like Steve Murphy did for the Galil plugin.....  as people add stuff, or fix stuff, it tracks the changes......

That way, the burden would not be on ONE or TWO guys.......  there are MANY, MANY, MANY talented people on this site, that have made GREAT screens, and Wizards, or G code or Graphics(bit maps)........ etc........  everyone brings something to the table...

scott

fun times

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2011, 12:03:29 AM »
I was playing with creating a conversational wizard for the lathe. Basically it would work like the newfangled one. You can create a full program by using the individual wizards to build the program. My biggest issue is figuring out how to add to and remove from the teach file. Maybe that is something Scott can help with? The G-code is the easy part for me since I use it everyday on the big toys.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2011, 12:13:32 AM »
yes, doing append to the file is not really an issue

scott
fun times

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2011, 12:31:24 AM »
Maybe you could show me how its done? Basically I will have a universal setup page that sets up the machine, has a material database, units and so on... Then each wizard will be amended to the same file as they are "posted". Basically a type of record function.  I would also like to make the ability to list the steps in your program and erase them if needed.

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2011, 02:03:23 AM »
Good ideas guys. I agree on most of the things. While I am not a programmer and never built a screen, I will try to contribute as I can.

Dan

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
  • Time is the same in a relative way
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2011, 06:15:08 PM »
I would be more than happy to test things as well as to provide feedback and encouragement for this endeavour. I am not sure if I could contribute anything concrete, but you never know I am slowly learning.
Cheers
Dave
Cheers

David

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2011, 06:30:49 PM »
Scott,
I'm doing some searching on user Lathe screen preferences from user replies and the different screens done to date.
Hopefully Hood will find the thread containing those replies.  

Then i will get into the wizards. For now......
There are three threading wizards done along with screens. A friend found a problem in the Simple Threading Wizard and we know the fix.
I need to review your complex one.

I have some new wizards that can be added to the turning wizards screen.

Will get the macros on drilling that can be turned into a wizard screen and if you want I'll write the logic on picking up a thread or fixing a thread and that can maybe be turned into something.

Later......,
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2011, 06:39:42 PM »
Scott,

"The Lathe Project" with Special account priveleges.... in such anyone could edit a single post
Can't do that.

Suggest we just create a nice new thread "THE LATHE PROJECT - 2011" in Works in Progress.  We can sanitize it as things develop....?
It would be dedicated to just the screen and let the wizards develop here. 

Any other ideas...?

RICH