Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:05:48 AM

Author Topic: cad  (Read 4946 times)

cad
« on: November 05, 2006, 10:41:31 PM »
mach3 ver2.0, need inexpensive cad to use with mach3. i have a desktop mill. need to turn drawings into pockets/parts for inlays,,,what are you using?   i have an old version of bobcad/cam, bobcad17. have trouble getting lazy cam to interface. could use cad for dxf to mach3, or cad covert to g-code, then mach3.  any suggestions appreciated.
larry
Re: cad
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 12:16:47 PM »
Bankshot:

Try this link - http://www.graytechsoftware.com/ Cadx11 Free is a little quirky at times, but I have used it to design some mounting plates and shift/brake arms for one off motorcycle parts.  Documentation is pretty limited and it can take a while to get used to the software, but the price (FREE!!) is right.

Good luck

Bob @ BobsShop
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 11:24:32 PM »
bob, thanks for the reply. i like the program since it is similar to bobcad and that makes it easy for me to use. however, i cant import to lazy cam, they arent anywhere to be found, did you have this problem?  bankshot101@aol.com
larry
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 09:03:22 AM »
Bankshot:

Not sure if I followed your question or not, but here is what I do.

Save whatever you have drawn in CADX, then click on EXPORT under the File caption.  This will produce a DXF file you can use in LCAM.  Like I said, sometimes it is a little quirky, but it does get easier with practice.

Good luck with your projects.

Bob @ BobsShop - Drawing, cutting, and cussing.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 11:24:51 AM »
bob, i had to reload the program and found the export function, it works and lcam can import, however when i load the drawing that i used point coordinate to draw, my points appear as something cam program recognizes and toolpath goes there, instead of seeing the drawing as an outline,, did you have this problem? perhaps i just havent figured this out yet
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 04:56:40 PM »
Bankshot:

Think I have had similar problems (if I read your post correctly).  Cadx will pick up errant points as part of the export.  Three solutions:

Use the Blank function to blank all items not included in your drawing; or
Use the Delete -Single function to highlight the points and delete them.; or
It is possible in LCAM to select the points and delete them individually.  Sometimes that is easier.

Let me know If the forgoing doesn't make sense, or if I misread your post.

Bob @ BobsShop.
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 10:14:20 PM »
thanks, bob. i will try those things, i appreciate the advice, im new at this,, simple things seem like mountains to me,lol
larry