Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:06:45 PM

Author Topic: controller board with encoder feedback?  (Read 11594 times)

controller board with encoder feedback?
« on: November 22, 2010, 09:46:59 AM »
Hi,
    I woul'd like to know if Kflop board is the only board that support encoder feed back or there's other board that does that too?
I'm hooking up 2 Heidenhain LS 486 Linear scale to my machine, open attachment for pdf file.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: controller board with encoder feedback?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 09:54:12 AM »
Will the Kflop actually accept the sine wave signal these scales give out? Normally you would need to use square wave output scales but as I know nothing of the Kflop it may well accept them.
Hood

Offline ASC

•  59 59
    • View Profile
    • Automation Systems
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 01:21:44 PM »
The Kflop only accepts single ended encoders, that is to say, only encoders with 2 signal wires, channels A and B.  There might be a way to trick it into seeing differential signals but I have yet to figure that one out.
Mr. Creosote
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 03:28:01 AM »
hi guys,
           The Heidenhain Linear scale came with a box, APE-454, please open attachment for APE-371, output is incremental TTL...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 03:36:28 AM »
Ok  that should work.
 I am not sure what you are asking in your original question as I dont know whether you are planning to use these as motor feedback or whether you are trying to use these in addition to motor encoders to get double closed loop.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 03:47:15 AM »
Hi Hood,
            I want to build a cnc lathe, and how accurate can I get with Kflop + Heidenhan Linear scale?
What is a double close loop, and what is it for?

Freddy

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 05:19:52 AM »
Will you be using servo motors? If yes then will these have encoders on them for motor positioning? If yes to that then I would presume you wish to add the scales to the table to give table feedback in addition to motor feedback (double closed loop). If No (motors dont have encoders) then you will be using the table scales to control motor position, this can work if everything is very tight and backlash free (not easy) If things are loose to even a small amount you may well have motor tuning issues.

So If you can explain exactly what you are attempting to use the scales to do it will help get you a better answer, ie
what type of motors(servo or stepper)
If servo do they have encoders for motor position
Hood
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 08:43:23 AM »
Hood,
         Thanks for the explanation.
Double closed loop is the answer.
My intention is to add the scales to the table to give table feedback in addition to motor feedback.
I will be using 1 x 3.5KW Mitsubishi AC servo + Driver to drive the lathe spindle, then the rest 2 axis will be using Yaskawa AC servo.
Controller board = Kflop, was going to use SmoothStepper, but not sure whether it support feedback.
2 Heidenhain Linear scale.
Cast iron lathe bed, Lathe spindle head.
will show some picture later.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 09:26:22 AM »
Your servo drives (if digital) will handle closing the loop to the motors but whether the Kflop can also close a second loop I dont know. I dont think it can and as far as I know no other motion controller that works with Mach can, possibly the Galil but not sure.

Hood
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 09:32:28 AM »
what about this: http://dynomotion.com/Help/ClosedLoopStep/ClosedLoopStepper.htm
If Mach doesn't work, how about EMC2?