Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:51:19 AM

Author Topic: Y axis toolpath display is inverted  (Read 4391 times)

Y axis toolpath display is inverted
« on: November 19, 2010, 06:07:31 PM »
I am having a issue with the toolpath display and it has me stumped.  I have my Home 0,0 with home switches in the upper left corner of my machine.  From home the Y axis move  away from home is a positive move, toward home is a negative. My dro's all are showing  correctly.  I can't get the display screen to move the correct way in the y axis if I move the y axis in the positive direction (away from home the display shows it moving toward  home. The display show's that my home position is in the lower left instead of the upper left. No matter what settings I change I can't get the home display in the upper right and have y positive away from home.

I hope I have explained this well enough, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Tom

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Y axis toolpath display is inverted
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 06:22:38 PM »
If I follow I think you need to set a Home Off value equal to the distance your home switch is away from the machine zero for your Y axis, in other words if your Y home switch is at the opposite end of your axis the value you will set for Home Off is your Y axis travel. This is done from Config menu Then Homing and Limits.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 08:11:23 PM »
Thanks Hood but that did not work.  Let me ask this.  On your machine if you have a part 0,0 set to the center of your work piece and you move the Y axis so that the toolpath window is moving down, is that a negative or a positive y Move on your Machine? On my machine it is a negative which is wrong, but the DRO is showing as if it is moving in a Positive Direction which is correct.

I have tried changing the settings but if I get it to look correct on the screen the Dro is going the other direction.  Is there a way to have the toolpath display Y axis flipped 180 degrees?

Thanks,
Tom

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 01:12:56 AM »
99.9% of the time this is asked, the machine is moving backwards.

If the window is moving down, the tool is moving up, which is positive. You can't have X+ to the right and Y+ down.

There's no way to rotate the toolpath or change the directions. X+ must be to the right, and Y+ must be up.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 05:09:01 AM »
Kencor
What kind of machine do you have?
Hood
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 12:09:52 PM »
Thanks for the input.  My router is a home built gantry router. I have another commercial Thermwood Gantry Router that the Home position is in the upper right corner and when you move away from home in the X or Y axis is is a Positive move and when you move toward home it is a negative move. I was trying to have it work the same way. I will just have to work with it the way it is.

Thanks Again
Tom

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 12:34:36 PM »
Your commercial router to me  seems to fly in the face of convention, or at least compared to metal working machine tools that I have seen. Machine Coords zero on them has always been tool  lower left. This does not mean that the home is always lower left, in fact it is often upper left or upper right but the control knows how far away the home position is from the machine zero.
On your router I suppose it would depend on where you stood as to which way the axis moved in relation to positive and negative moves but on the commercial router I would presume the control panel is in a fixed position so that will dictate what they determine to be the operating position.
Hood

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 04:30:29 PM »
At work we have a Morbidelli router that works like your Thermwood. It's actually very confusing, because virtually all CAD programs use the opposite direction for Y, like Mach3. For the Morbidelli, we use AlphaCAM, which again has Y At the bottom. The AlphaCAM post reverses the Y zero position when outputting code.

Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html