Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:17:50 PM

Author Topic: Soft limits issue on lathe - Need help  (Read 4312 times)

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
Soft limits issue on lathe - Need help
« on: November 15, 2010, 11:51:35 PM »
I am having an issue with my soft limits telling me I am over traveling on X every time I run a program. I just installed home switches. They are located at the far end on z away from the chuck and the far positive of X ( closest towards the operator) This is setup as front tool post. Everything homes fine. I can jog away from zero on X  and the soft limits work in both directions.  It slows and wont hit the hard stop. As I jog away away from zero on the X (away from the operator) I increase my negative number in machine coordinance like it should. Everything seems to be working fine manually. Problem is when I run any program it gives me a warning that I am over traveling my X axis on soft limits. I continue and it cuts the part as it should. What can I do to fix this warning and still use soft limits?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Soft limits issue on lathe - Need help
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 03:07:43 AM »
Soft limits are just another one of the things in Turn  that dont work. One day soon, I am assured ::) , Turn will be getting worked on. Problem is how do you define soon ;)
Hood

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 03:31:15 AM »
Damn.. was hoping it was just setup and not a bug. :( Is there any way around this? I am thinking maybe turn soft limits on only when in jog mode? Got any suggestions? I only use it as a limit switch for jogging as I will be using the full X axis for gang tooling. I can add a switch to the other side for a limit but its going to be some work. I would much rather make this work in software. Especially since it knows where zero is and where the stop is. To me a switch is redundant. Now the big question is... if you setup normal limit switches and use the home switch as a home/limit switch is this working correctly or is there a bug with that as well? Also if I do set it up this way can I make it so I can jog off the switch if they are hit?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 03:41:27 AM »
Afraid I dont use SoftLimits on the lathe so dont know of a work around, reason I know they dont work is  I did a lot of testing when another user ran into problems. It was a long time ago, maybe 2 years, but I know nothing has been done in Turn in that time (except Arts work in the driver for threading) As said it was a long time ago but I have it in my mind that maybe its related to Dia Rad moce so maybe worth trying that.
Homing works and is just the same as it is in mill. Not sure what you mean by the last part but if I understand then Yes you can set up Auto Limit Override and it will allow you to back off a limit once you press reset. It is worth noting however that after a limit has been hit you will most likely have lost position so will need to re-home if that is how you reference your machine.

Hood

Hood

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 03:55:54 AM »
Basically the reason for soft limits is so I don't have to re-home. I dont want it to hit the hard stop. Is there a way I can turn off soft limits when hitting cycle start and then turn them back on when the program ends? I figure I can make the cycle start button a VB script to handle turning off the soft limits but not sure how to detect when the program ends with a script. I only need them active in jogging. I program in cam and will never hit the limit in a program. Also, is there a thread for a bug list in turn?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 04:00:04 AM by DaOne »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 07:14:37 AM »
Yes VB Start button is good :) have that on my machines (not for Soft Limits but....)
Regarding turning back on, well two ways i can think of off the top of my head  are  custom m-code at the end of your files. Other way would be to use the reset on programme end option and have the initialisation string contain the custom m-code. My preference would be the former.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 07:20:51 AM »
Oh and regards bug list, not that I know of.

Hood