Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:45:33 AM

Author Topic: Confusion on Jog Mode / MPG / Shuttle Mode  (Read 6116 times)

Confusion on Jog Mode / MPG / Shuttle Mode
« on: November 04, 2006, 04:50:03 PM »
Hi All,

I have been working on a pendant with MPG using ModIO. I have been successful in moving the three axis with the MPG through the ModIO driven by the Macropump I've been working on (Modeled after the sample code in the Mach Customization Wiki).

The problem is that I have now gotten myself in a position that I cannot get the MPG mode to come one WITHOUT having the Shuttle Mode to be on. An no matter what I do, I am also unable to toggle through the MPG Axis.

My understanding is that the Shuttle mode is used to step through G-code at a speed of your choosing by rotating the MPG -- Very Cool!! Trouble is, I want to move the table, and to do that I need (I think) to have the Shuttle Mode in the Off position and the MPG in the ON position. When I toggle Jog Mode, all I do is move between Cont and Step. And the only way I can get the MPG in the ON position is by toggling the Shuttle mode which puts me back where I don;t want to be.

I must be missing something very simple as I could find nothing on this in any of my searches. What am I missing????

Thanks a bunch for any help on this!!

David

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Confusion on Jog Mode / MPG / Shuttle Mode
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 07:14:33 PM »
Post your macropump file. It could be that.

Graham.

Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 09:47:18 PM »
Thanks for responding Graham.

I will post the code when I get the CNC machine powewred back up (probably tomorrow sometime).

However, I am unable to toggle to the MPG mode without the Shuttle mode On while using my workstation as well. And it has no macropump code running. That's why I figure I must be missing something very simple.

David

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 01:05:36 AM »
Oh, you didn't mention 2 machines the first time.

On the macropump machine, your code may be causing the jog mode to be fixed in one mode.  Do you have the LCD screen fitted?  If so you can add bits into the code to tell you whats happening.

Email me the code and I will have a look, a photo of your hardware setup will help (wiring side).

If shuttle mode is on and you select a different jog mode you should get an alarm tellling you to turn shuttle mode off first.

If shuttle mode is on you will also get the step led flashing.  Selecting shuttle again should stop it.

On the second machine, if you don't have a MPG selected as on in the Ports and Pins - Encoder/MPGs config you can not select MPG in the jog mode.

Graham.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 01:27:15 AM by Graham Waterworth »
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 02:00:51 AM »
Graham,

I just did a test by configuring a bogus MPG on the Workstation as Port 0, pins 7 & 8 on MPG1. Sure enough... I had an ahaaa moment.

Thanks a bunch for your time and attention!! I truly appreciate it.

David