Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 03:48:59 AM

Author Topic: Pokey55 and MPG issues  (Read 12687 times)

Pokey55 and MPG issues
« on: November 14, 2010, 09:32:05 AM »
Hi all,

I recently purchased and installed the Pokeys55 and the MPG2 from CNC4PC and I'm experiencing the following issue. I see encoder counts in the encoder RAW values  and the e-stop works correctly but the remaining functions do not show any activity in the Digital I/O screen.  I have followed the instructions completely from the Pokeys site.

Latest version of Mach3
Smoothstepper
External 5VDC supply to M2 Motherboard
Latest pokeys plugin and Mach3 brains and pokeys config.

Appreciate any help I can get thank you,
Rick

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Pokey55 and MPG issues
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 12:25:55 PM »
you need the latest pokeys software update as well.
further you do not need brains, for the MPG, it is brought directly to for instance MPG1, if you mapped encoder 1 in pokeys to encoder 4 in mach3.
fun times
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 01:31:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I have what I think is the latest pokeys version 2.1.17.  Disabling the brain did not help either?

I haven't been able to see the functions work in the pokeys config screens prior to running on Mach3.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 08:20:14 PM »
Update,

In trouble shooting the issue I found that pin 14 on the M2 Rev 4 board has 5VDC on it, in the documentation from CNC4PC the guide calls for pins 2,6 and 14 to be a GND and pin 16 to have 5VDC but there is a trace between pins 14 and 16? 

Rick

Offline borisz

•  220 220
    • View Profile
    • www.poscope.com
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 07:25:17 AM »
Please check also the verison of the plugin. You must be sure not "think" that you have the latest version.

regards

Boris
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 04:28:32 PM »
Did you get your problem resolved? I'm having the exact same problem. I have the M2 rev 4 motherboard and the 6 axis pendant.

Zack
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 08:41:06 PM »
Zach,

Yes and no, there was an issue with the DB25 connection on the M2 if you ring out the connections of the M2 to the pokeys pins you will find it does not match the schematics.  I spoke with Arturo of CNC4PC and he offered to replace the board if I sent it back.  After spending a considerable amount of time working on resolving the issues I abandoned it and purchased the iMach3 pendant plug and play.  I would suggest following the instructions and schematics from Scott (poppabear).  There appears to be some diferences between the CNC4PC  documents and the one from the Pokeys site.

I hope this helps

Rick
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 09:02:08 PM »
Rick,

Did you fix this?

There are some problems with the documentation.  the instructions for setting up the MPG are for Rev 3.  Some pins changed on rev 4, I will have to update the information.  If you want to troubleshoot it yourself, you just need to look at the pinout on the DB25 connector on the M2.

Arturo Duncan
http://cnc4pc.com
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 09:13:16 PM »
Rick / Zack,

The instructions currently given in the website are for rev 3, which uses the pinout on page 7 : http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/M2R3_User_Manual.pdf. The current pinout can be found on the manual for rev 4: http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/M2R3_User_Manual.pdf, page 7.

I will redo the documentation by the end of the week.

Arturo Duncan
http://cnc4pc.com

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 09:41:41 PM »
Arturo,

I did get the pendant, keypad and LCD working but the jog movements appeared to be slow to react to the MPG. I'm away from home a great deal of the time and could not spend the time to sort it out further.

I would like to add that you did respond to my requests for help in a very timely manner and it was appreciated.

Thank you,
Rick