Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:51:26 PM

Author Topic: Charge Pump Problem  (Read 8518 times)

Charge Pump Problem
« on: November 03, 2006, 03:40:01 PM »
Hi all,

I have a Xylotex 3 axis board plus I am using CNC4PC Multifunction board.

I have tested the xylotex board and 3 motors with Mach 3 and it works fine.

I have connected the Xylotex board to the CNC4PC board (to the DB25 port labeled "Output" and the other DB25 port is connected to my PC.

I have connected the 3 required power sources to the multifunction card and I see the appropriate LED's illuminated.

I have gone into Mach 3 Config - Ports and Pins and on the output tab, I have set the line that says "Charge Pump" to be enabled and use pin 17 port 1.  I am not sure whether it should be set as active low or high ( I think high) but have tried both, but I still cannot jog the motors.   

What am I missing?

Thanks

David

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Charge Pump Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 03:13:29 AM »
Have you got 5 volt to the pin marked EN

This enables the outputs.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 10:17:48 AM »
Thanks Grahm, that was the problem, as I did not realize that you needed to do this when using the charge pump.    I have now done this and it works, but I still have a problem.

If I exit Mach 3 the charge pump works as expected and disables the output,  however if I then go back into Mach 3, rather than the Output Status light coming on, it just flickers and the motor "twitch" and wont jog properly.  If I re-boot the computer, it works properly again but only for the first time I run Mach 3, after that I am back to the flicker.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is happening?

Thanks

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 10:22:58 AM »
I think its latched on the multi board, try killing the power to the board then re run mach.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 11:18:53 AM »
Tried that Graham, but did not make any difference.

David

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 06:06:05 PM »
Hello David,
     I had problems with my charge pump also, same board. Is your 5v power source from PC 5v or 3.5? I have bypassed my charge pump (moved the jumper) and use a NO switch for the enable pin. The charge pump would be nice, but I would still have the enable switch for safety any way. ;) I did have the 5v. Mr. Duncan even sent me an external charge pump just to try, still no joy. I think mine may be caused by noise. :(

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 07:02:16 PM »
Hi Brett,

I'll have to check whether I am getting 5v or 3.5v from the PC,  but I did change the usb Cable that Aruro sent with the board to one that was sheilded, but it made no difference.

It's interesting that after a re-boot and going into Mach 3 for the first time the Output Status light comes on, on the board and everything works fine, but when I leave Mach 3 and go back in it just flickers and the motor twitch and won't jog properly, with the only cure being a re-boot of the pc.

I have now tried it on a second pc with similar effect - except it goes straight to flickering.   I have also followed all the optimization tips and also trimed down XP to a minimum using XPLight.   It is running on a 2.6Ghz PC wit 1Gb of RAM and no other programs except for DeskCNC which I use with my IMService CNC Router.

The driver test looks good.

I think it may be noise but I am not sure where it is coming from.

I may end up giving up with the charge pump, but I would really like to see it working reliably and not having to re-boot the PC each time I leave Mach 3.

David

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 09:12:24 AM »
Hey David,
    I'm with you, I'd love to see the charge pump working as it should. The previous post is just a work around. I would try the switch and moving the jumper just to see if all the other problems go away. You could just move the jumper and jump across the 5v and en pins. I would do it in a way that I could remove the connection quick if I had too. If allways enabled, when your PC boots up, your machine can do silly things. Jump, coolant on, spindle on, etc. That is why I would have an enable switch even if the charge pump worked perfect. ;)

Brett

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 12:29:59 PM »
Hi Brett,  Yes I have already tried putting the jumper on pins 1 and 2 and wiring th 5v to EN and it all works fine, so it seems to be just related to the charge pump.  Arturo thinks it might be due to some tolerance issues with the Frequency between variance in the pc and components.

He is going to send me another board with a different batch of components to see if it makes a difference.

I agree with having an enable switch either way and I will be doing that.

David

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 05:28:30 PM »
Good deal David,
     Mr. Duncan seems like a good man as he sent me a separate Charge pump to try. Let me know how yours works out. It's not on the top of my to do list, but would like to get it right eventually.

Brett