Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:57:25 PM

Author Topic: Help with slo-syn 230-T and MACH3  (Read 8709 times)

Help with slo-syn 230-T and MACH3
« on: November 06, 2010, 11:00:58 AM »
Hi all- please help if you can. I am a chemist trying to build an automated dispenser using a CNC approach. I have an older model CNC device, looks like it was build by a c0llege guy teaching a class.
There are 3 slo-syn 230-T's all wired up to some Isert electronic motors.
I'm trying to get just one axis going- once that happens I know I can get the rest of them.
On the slo-syn the outputs are as follows:
PU(step) is to pin 7 of the printer cable
CW/CCW is to pin 9
H/F (half step maybe??) is to pin 8
Logic com is to pin 4
There is a yellow/wht wire going to pin 15. It looks like it has come loose from something, and I think it's important but don't know where to wire it.
+ output of the 5V power supply goes to an org/wht wire, which is pin 14
- output of the 5V power supply goes to pin 4 (tied into logic com)

From this info can anyone help me setup Mach3???

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Help with slo-syn 230-T and MACH3
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 02:57:36 PM »
Does your computer have a PP?
Can you provide more info on the motors. Is there a tag or whatever on the motor which gives some specifics about it?
How manny wires do the motors have?

I assume that the drives are mounted in a box ( controller) and there is a power supply there.
Can you post some internal  pictures of the controller?

May as well check out the device to make sure all is well before hooking it up to a computer?

RICH
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 07:48:24 AM »
Rich-
Sorry I thought I had sent a post yesterday, but it seems it did not deliver. I'm new at this.
I do have the driver/power supply box hooked up to the computer. I can turn the motor, slowly and very noisily. BUT it will not change direction and the speed is very slow.
I'm getting there, but there is a setting that is not quite right.
I took some pictures and tried to upload them yesterday, but it's not working. Perhaps I can email them to you, or, can you tell me how to successfully upload them?
Mark

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 05:42:55 PM »
CLick the preview of your reply and in the lower left hand corner of that screen you click, Additional Options, the new / updated  screen will than provide you the options for posting pic's. You select Browse and then select the file, click more attachments to load additional files.

RICH
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 06:58:41 PM »
I've tried to post pics but the will not upload. They're only 2 MEGs but nothing ahppens when I press the post button.
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 07:21:35 PM »
HAd trouble uploading pics, so I published a couple on my company website, www.caisc.com . If you look there, Rich, under the CNC development page, I've posted a motor pic and one of the drivers. I'll add more later.

Does this help?
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 03:46:27 PM »
REALLY need to get this going.

I'm trying to emulate the wiring of this slosyn to a gecko drive. They seem to be very similar.

It looks like, to make the Y axis move, I need to send 5VDC from the computer to the slosyn, and that will amke the motor move the appropriate steps, right?

When I check the voltage at the "step" pin on the slostn, it reads 5V. Seems like, if my thinking is correct, it should not read any voltage until the computer tells it too, right?

What am I missing.
HELP!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 09:27:34 PM »
Please post documentaion for the drive you are using. I saw the picture but couldn't find info on the drive ...well not in short time anyway.
Although i have an idea on the connections i am not going to guess. Do not compare drives and emulate the wiring...that's how you blow a drive.

Till then ,
RICH
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 09:16:26 PM »
Here is the Slosyn 230T documentation.

I want to use these drivers with MACH3 and am trying to determine the pinouts. I'm going to need to control 5 axis' but if I can get one or two on line, I think I can figure out the rest.

I want to use my Vexta 24V stepper motor - 8 leads but I've been running them with 4 only.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 04:06:16 PM »
Hope you can help me with this. I need to control 5 steppers. 3 of them will be for x-y-z type of movement, but 2 will be controlling FMI Fluid Metering Pumps.

Got a great idea herer, but need to contrl these steppers as inexpensively as possible- MACH3 with these "slosyn type drivers seem to be the ticket, but let me know.