Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:28:09 AM

Author Topic: Ganrty setup in Mach3  (Read 3331 times)

Ganrty setup in Mach3
« on: November 03, 2010, 05:27:15 PM »
I'm having a little difficulty configuring the gantry of my machine.
Here's a run down of what I'm working with:

Galil DMC 1842
Galil ICM 2900
(4)Pacsi PC833 drive
(4)Pacsi PMA24C servos

Code burned into the controller:

GM ,,,1
GA ,,,CX
GRW=-1
ER 500,500,500,500
OE 1,1,1,1

The X and W axis are controlling a linear style gantry on a 6' x 12' router.  When issuing a command in SmarTerm (For example PR 5000 ; BGX) the gantry moves in a coordinated fashion.  The problem is when jogging the X axis in Mach.  I've tried a couple of different configurations with differing results.

First I configured the Galil plug-in, under axis setup I mapped the Mach axis to Galil axis X->X, Y->Y, Z->Z, A->W and motor types as servo motors.  Under slave axis selection in Mach, X Axis ; Slaved Axis -> A Axis.  With this configuration, when jogging the X axis, both servos in the gantry move but in opposite directions.

Second I tried changing the motor type in the plug-in, X->Servo Reverse.  When resetting, the X axis runs away and the gantry racks.  I then tried changing the D axis to servo reverse and got the same results.

I know that there is a homing function in Mach, which may explain the run away and racking, but the other axis do not attempt to move after being reset.  I'm wondering if the code burned into the controller needs to be there or if Mach takes care of this for you.

Any help would be great.

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Ganrty setup in Mach3
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:58:58 AM »
Jay,

When using servo reverse, you may need to swap the encoder direction to sync things. If using a 5 wire encoder, swap the A & B leads, If using a complementary output encoder, swap the A+ & A- leads.

Cheers,

Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.
Re: Ganrty setup in Mach3
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 12:41:17 PM »
Worked great!  Love the easy fixes.

Thanks