Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 07:54:50 PM

Author Topic: Possible, 3 spindles with only one VFD ???  (Read 2362 times)

Possible, 3 spindles with only one VFD ???
« on: November 02, 2010, 03:22:52 PM »
HI,

Could it be possible to have 3 spindles, like 800 water cooled type but use only one VFD.

I have to machine about 6000 plastic boxes for a company and would need 2 to 3 different tools for each model.

Only one spindle would be machining at a time, not 3 at the same time.

Need a way to switch between spindle for each tool.

Would be a lot cheaper than try to get expensive tool changer, this is for a gantry router by the way.

Jeff

PS, I already have a VFD for a 2.2Kw water cooled spindle and I think I would just have to buy a couple of .8Kw spindle and they would work with the VFD

« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:30:47 PM by ostie01 »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Possible, 3 spindles with only one VFD ???
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 05:44:25 PM »
I think there would be a few problems, first is you set parameters to suit the motors in the VFD so unless all three were the same type of motors it would be impossible to do.
Next problem is how to switch, contactors would work well but you would need to make sure this wouldnt harm your VFD, afraid my knowledge of VFDs is not good enough to say one way or the other.

Hood

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Possible, 3 spindles with only one VFD ???
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 07:00:33 PM »
Having a vfd run 3 of the same type motors one at a time should not be a problem. Where your problem may come is SWITCHING the motors. Most VFDs do NOT like being OPEN circuit on the motor side( CAN CAUSE PHYSICAL DAMAGE).

So you would NEED to use a MAKE BEFORE BREAK switch to switch between motors.That way there is NEVER an open circuit on the motor side. OR size the vfd to run all 3 and only use the one you want letting the others just free run.

NOTICE I said 3 of the SAME type motors so the parameters are the same for all 3.

(;-) TP