Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:51:57 AM

Author Topic: If you have noise issues this might be worth a try  (Read 33086 times)

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: If you have noise issues this might be worth a try
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 12:31:27 PM »
Can i just put a cap across the motor if so what would i need

Bad idea. You can cause a very dangerous situation by not using power rated caps when trying to filter an AC line.

There are two different things at play here. One is that when the relay switches it will create heaps of noise, the other is that the pump motor itself will create a lot of noise. If you are controlling the pump with a 10A relay I would guess it is a 1 HP or less pump so a line filter like I carry, and an arc snubber across the relay contacts would help a tremendous amount.

I was trying out a few different brands of arc snubbers a while ago, I may still have one laying around. If you want to try the line filter I'll throw in an arc snubber to get you fixed up.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 01:00:28 PM »
Can i just put a cap across the motor if so what would i need

Bad idea. You can cause a very dangerous situation by not using power rated caps when trying to filter an AC line.

There are two different things at play here. One is that when the relay switches it will create heaps of noise, the other is that the pump motor itself will create a lot of noise. If you are controlling the pump with a 10A relay I would guess it is a 1 HP or less pump so a line filter like I carry, and an arc snubber across the relay contacts would help a tremendous amount.

I was trying out a few different brands of arc snubbers a while ago, I may still have one laying around. If you want to try the line filter I'll throw in an arc snubber to get you fixed up.

Jeff thank you for the offer but i am in the UK the warmer part so i think send parts to me from the USA would cost too much.

I am quite willing to buy them but only if i know what to buy, if you Jeff or anyone else can point me in the right direction of what i need

I will clarify i am using a 10amp rated relay but doubt if i am drawing that amount of current

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 01:35:43 PM »
VFDs are even noisier than a regular induction motor. Wiring layout is VERY critical, you can even get 'VFD' cable to run from the VFD to the motor that is really well shielded. Go here: http://www.soigeneris.com/Documentation-content.aspx and look for the 'Installation Tips' in the SmoothStepper section. Also make sure you are NOT pulling the file from a USB drive, a network file, etc...

Hmmm......I've printed and read your Installation Tips for SS and consider it the gospel.

Now, pulling from network. I DO have my G-code files on a Windows Home Server. I'll stop doing that and store them locally. I'd NEVER consider THAT and might should have as I've only had it do this lately doing lithopanes with a .040 ball endmill and 60,000 line files. Local only for me now, thanks a million for THAT tip!!

OH, and a tip on where to get this VFD specific wire?

Tom
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 01:37:40 PM by thosj »
--
Tom

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 02:24:23 PM »
Do a search for VFD wire. I found this right off the bat: http://www.houwire.com/products/belden.asp

The not running files of a network or thumbdrive is a general Mach 3 tip, it is true no matter if you use the parallel port, a SmoothStepper or any other motion control device. Networks and tumbdrives can cause unexpected read delays for Mach which will throw it off.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 03:14:25 PM »
Phil
 I was thinking it was your spindle motor, the filter I have is three phase, its meant for the AC servo drives I have, although likely it could be used single phase as well. I may have another filter that my Beaver mill came with, there was one on each motor and as I only have the original coolant and knee motors and have done away with the spindles induction motor I should have it kicking around in the store, will look it out tomorrow if I remember.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, 07:13:21 PM »
Phil
just remembered I have  a smaller line filter here, single phase 10Amp rated that I could loan you. Its one of these http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=246-3699

PM your address if you want to give it a try.

Hood
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 07:43:53 PM »
Interesting... I haven't been here for a while since my router hasn't been getting a lot of use and I thought I'd mostly solved my noise/smoothstepper lockup issues but I had a job fail twice after a couple of minutes of cutting on Monday (which is odd since it was running fine the previous day). My  router has a chinese vfd controlled, water cooled spindle which is quite noisy and it wouldn't run for more than 30 seconds before the smoothstepper would freeze with a "normal" usb cable.

Anyhoo - my original setup isolated the smoothstepper board with a shielded 5 meter usb extension cable (which actually has a 1port usb hub in the end). This was coiled up in the enclosure the smoothstepper was in and seemed to be 90% reliable.

After reading this thread I decided to try cutting the shield from the smoothstepper end of a 1m USB cable to see if it would "work" and, so far, it seems to be stable. I'll kick off a couple of real jobs tomorrow and see if it stays going...

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 07:38:41 PM »
Hi Guys ,

When you say hang ups do you mean the SS rand out of data warning message>?

As I am getting this sometimes when my spindle shuts down for a tool change ( or I move around in the graphic screen when running ) and I end up loosing my position and having to unplug/re-plug the SS usb as well and re-starting mach 3?

Would removing the c4 and R5 Possibly help this issue?

Cheers

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 08:21:36 PM »
As I am getting this sometimes when my spindle shuts down for a tool change

This is a sign you need an arc snubber across your relay contacts. When switching inductive loads relay contacts will arc which produces quite a lot of RFI and can drive many things crazy. Also, using a line filter on the spindle motor is a good idea (mounted as close to the motor as possible), it will help prevent the electrical noise generated by the motor from making its way back down the power cord into your controls.

or I move around in the graphic screen when running

This is a different problem and stems from Mach being single threaded. Mach can have this same issue with the parallel port too. It all depends on your file size, graphics card, and CPU speed.

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 08:41:35 PM »
Thanks jeff, not to sure what an arc snubber is or how to fit one but I will have a hunt around for more info , would you recommend taking off the capacitor and resistor on the SS board also?